Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Binding maker >

Quilt Binding maker

Quilt Binding maker

Old 06-16-2023, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I like the Binding Eaze because the iron can be left on the silicone mat at highest setting with no worry. I can zip through a binding for a king size quilt in a couple of minutes. I can have the binding feed through a bias maker before the iron if I want single fold bias. I have the original Simplicity Binding machine and I use it a lot too. It folds and presses with a push of button. I have the 2 1/2 inch binding tool for it to make double fold straight binding as well as different sizes of bias or straight binding. My granddaughter use to make binding by the yards using the machine and selling it to guild members. She paid for her pool membership each summer doing that.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:59 AM

Question Binding maker

Looks like most of you prefer doing it by hand/iron instead of using a tool for making a binding tape for quilting.

How crucial is ironing for making a Binding Tape? I was thinking if there was a tool that could just help in folding the tape once over and crease the fabric as I pass it through it, without ironing, maybe it will take away the drudgery of sitting and ironing the strips? Maybe I could fashion something for her with things available around the house and the ideas I am seeing online?

Please weigh in the importance of using an iron for making binding strips.
Thanks
Alex
Old 06-16-2023, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Many of us don't iron our double fold binding strips. We feel that it's an unnecessary step, and the fabric folds around the quilt edge more evenly when it hasn't been ironed.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:46 PM

If you are interested in getting her something that is a little quicker and easier, I use this a bit.

Lately I have been doing my own iron and fold because I have been making wide binding. But, I do use this when I am making regular quilt binding and/or bias strips. I like it because you push it ahead of the iron.

You can buy different sizes/collections of this tool, depending on what size binding/or bias strips you want to make.

Here is a video of how to use Pauline's Sasher Collection: Video of Pauline's World Sasher Collection

Here is one place you can buy it (sold elsewhere too) Pauline's World Sasher Collection

Last edited by quiltsfor; 06-16-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:57 PM

I like the ironed binding because you don't have to worry about it getting pulled askew, to where it won't fold over right without bunching up on itself. With ironing it in half first, I know it will lay flat when I fold it over to the other side.

It's also quicker to iron your binding if the strips are already sewn together to the length needed to do the entire binding. It saves having to pick up and start over with the folding and ironing each separate strip.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 06-16-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:02 AM

I finally bought the one that is used with an iron last year and I really like it.

Getting the binding on is easier for me when it's pressed, and when you're making binding for queen and king sized quilts, it's a lot of binding. With this, once my binding is sewn to the length I need, I run it through and it's neatly pressed in half in just a couple of minutes with no burnt fingertips. I cut my binding 2-1/8", fold the end to get it started, set the iron on, and pull it through with a perfectly centered fold.

I do like the one that Terry Rowland makes, and if I'd seen that before buying this, I would have made one. The really nice thing about hers is that if you want to change the width of your binding, you can easily adjust the guide that the needles make.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:13 AM

Did anyone see the new one that Shabby Fabrics had a video on. New to me anyway.

i think they were using it for jelly roll rugs but i wonder if you could do binding with it.

It was made by Clover but i dont recall the official name of the tool.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
Did anyone see the new one that Shabby Fabrics had a video on. New to me anyway.

i think they were using it for jelly roll rugs but i wonder if you could do binding with it.

It was made by Clover but i dont recall the official name of the tool.
Clover Tube Maker?
https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/p14644...e-maker?c=5281
Old 06-17-2023, 07:34 AM

I threw mine away! I had gotten the Quilt Binding Express, and just didn't like it. More hassle than worth. I cut my binding to whatever width I want for that particular quilt, sew it together, and within about 5 minutes can have it ironed in half. I run the strip the length of my ironing board, fold, press and go. For me it works.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I have all of Pauline's Sasher tools. I had no idea what they were but when I saw the regular price and the shop was going out of business with 70% off notions well I had to buy the box set. Only one set and no one was looking at them. Probably didn't know what they were, like me. Even got her QAYG book with them. After looking at the videos of the tools I was excited to use them for QAYG. They are wonderful and the hot iron do not melt them at all. I haven't used them for bindings but will work great.
I have the Clover Tube maker and it's for covering batting with fabric for tote bags, rugs, bowls, etc. Sure save a lot of tedious work.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-17-2023 at 09:46 AM.