Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Rings >

Quilting Rings

Quilting Rings

Old 06-25-2023, 05:20 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I have a question about the Martelli Rings... For those of you who did a cut out on the low part of the ring, is the ring solid or hollow? I'm thinking about having DH do that to mine when they come, but not sure I want to if the ring is hollow.
The Martelli rings do have a small area that's thin so you can slip them under the raised presser foot easily. You might try using them as-is first, and you could possibly cut out that area. I suspect it's there so the rings are more stable/stay flat.
Old 06-25-2023, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
The Martelli rings do have a small area that's thin so you can slip them under the raised presser foot easily. You might try using them as-is first, and you could possibly cut out that area. I suspect it's there so the rings are more stable/stay flat.
I watched the video of both the Gypsy and the Martelli, and one of my thoughts when purchasing both of them was if I was doing a FMQ pattern that I needed to move the ring to reposition my quilt, I wouldn't have to cut the thread if I used the Gypsy, otherwise I'm thinking I will probably use the Martelli most of the time as I normally quilt in sections. Seeing what you said and thinking about it, I'm going to leave the Martelli as it is and not cut out that area. With having both the Gypsy and the Martelli, I won't have any need to. I can't wait to try them out on some sample sandwiches. I want to get lots of practice in before I move to my quilt.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:54 AM

I still have a quilt ring (had no idea that's what it's called) that came with my Viking Rose bought about 2001. I've only tried using it once or twice, as I've discovered that Machinger gloves do as well or better for me. This thread has inspired me to try it again.

It's good to hear others have success with the rings on larger quilts, as so many demos only show using them on small practice pieces. That's how I got suckered into using quilting ruler templates; it looked so easy when the demonstrator did it on 18"x18" pieces! Not quite the same on a full quilt, IMO!
Old 06-28-2023, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by hray View Post
I still have a quilt ring (had no idea that's what it's called) that came with my Viking Rose bought about 2001. I've only tried using it once or twice, as I've discovered that Machinger gloves do as well or better for me. This thread has inspired me to try it again.

It's good to hear others have success with the rings on larger quilts, as so many demos only show using them on small practice pieces. That's how I got suckered into using quilting ruler templates; it looked so easy when the demonstrator did it on 18"x18" pieces! Not quite the same on a full quilt, IMO!
Regarding deciding that the Machinger gloves do as well or better for you, I hear ya! I tried out my new Martelli 8 inch ring yesterday. It holds the quilt sandwich beautifully and does what it's designed to do, but . . . The throat space in my sewing machine is only about 5 inches. Thus, I am able to quilt only a very small area, perhaps 5 or 6 inches, before I run into the end of the harp area and have to stop and move the ring. Starting and stopping every 15 seconds got really frustrating. As I look at the YouTube videos of people using the ring, I realize this tool works best on a mid-arm machine, not on my regular sewing machine. I hate to give up this easily, but it seems like maybe I just didn't understand the best conditions under which the ring works. Back to the gloves.
Old 06-28-2023, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I do mostly QAYG so the ring fits over a block. I don't have to move it to quilt the block. Works for me and I don't have to baste or pin the block layer that much.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:40 PM

I have a really old set of rings - no handles and not much grip so I quit using them. Just ordered the ones from Amazon and will try them. Would love Martelli but too many $$$ for me.

For gloves, I have some garden gloves that I got years ago and a garden show. They fit firmly, I can move my hands/fingers easily and they are very sticky - they work well for me. (I got a 6 pack for $2 back in the eary 1990's)
Old 07-20-2023, 07:34 AM

I have an HQ Sweet Sixteen, and I am at fault here for just assuming we were talking about using the rings on a mid-arm! My apologies to anyone I misled about the ring's appropriateness for a domestic machine, which I cannot attest to. I think I have the largest ring, and the constant moving of the ring is still frustrating with the larger ring.
Old 07-22-2023, 02:35 AM

I ordered these Martelli Paddles after someone at my guild explaining that she used hers with rulers. They held the ruler in place while quilting. We'll see. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNX66LD...t_details&th=1