Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feel like I'm going to be sick... >

Feel like I'm going to be sick...

Feel like I'm going to be sick...

Old 06-27-2023, 04:50 PM

I've know folks to choose not to save the quilt, but to repurpose it. you may find sections of it that don't really need much repair work that can be cut and framed for a wall hanging, or maybe turned into a few doll quilts for grandkids, so everyone has a piece of the memory. perhaps think outside the quilt-y box!.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:42 AM

If you do decide to repair this quilt, consider adding a hanging sleeve on the back so it may be hung and displayed rather than used. Best of luck to you, however you decide to tackle this project!
Old 06-28-2023, 02:20 AM

My 2 cents: Your Grandmother's quilt came in the mail in an inadequate package and could have been further damaged.

What does this tell you? If the quilt was loved and precious to you, wouldn't you treat it with care when you sent it to be repaired?

Before you move forward and repair this quilt putting in many hours, and most importantly your heart and memories of your grandmother......ask yourself this.. Will the quilt be treated with care ....after you send it back to your aunt? Only you can answer the questions and decide what you feel is best.
Old 06-28-2023, 04:43 AM

Well I think the reason it's so beat up is because she uses it all the time. She claims she has it on the couch (chair or something) so when she's cold she just grabs it and uses it. I was worried about using the back to patch the front since it's the same fabric but on closer looking the back fabric has seen a LOT less light, so it's still a lot darker so the patches match but don't match. She just wants to be able to keep using it as a lap quilt and doesn't really care how it comes out, she says it's so comfy she loves using it (and I do see where she or someone has tried to fix a hole here and there and the fabric didn't hold, which is why I plan on patching instead of trying to sew up anything like it, but I've never done applique. I did just try to do a quilt with circles appliqued on it and am in the process or very very slowly quilting it now and it came out ok, and I have some minor experience patching clothes). Looking closer at the binding I'm thinking I might be able to only replace 2-3 parts of it where it's worn more than just the frayed edge and then do a zigzag or (sorry my brain isn't working this am the stitches you use to sew up the raw edges of clothes I can't remember the name right now) stitch around the whole thing once those places are covered. For some reason my grandmother didn't quilt a whole lot of it, so to protect all the edges of the fabric near the seams where they all were pieced I plan on doing a zigzag to quilt it to make it stronger (the parts she did quilt are all done with a zigzag so it'll at least match the style).
Old 06-28-2023, 08:03 AM

I was asked the same thing for a friend. After looking at it, I deemed it unrepairable and offered to make a copy of the pattern. It will last the recipient a lot longer than the worn one. This was also a grandmother quilt, but it has lived its life and needs to be retired. Hopefully, the replacement will be recieved favorably.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:13 AM

I don't really understand the rationale of repairing an old quilt. The quilt can be treasured as it is, while being retired from use out of respect, both for its provenance and for the fact that it has been well used. This, to me, would be preferable to putting new repairs on a worn quilt.

It strikes me, since this relative 'loved loved' the quilts you made for your uncle, that maybe she was hoping you would say, 'I'm not comfortable with the idea of repairing a quilt, but I'd be happy to make you one.'

Of course, that would be separate from the question of whether you would be happy to make her one, and what your terms would be.

Last edited by joe'smom; 06-28-2023 at 08:21 AM. Reason: omission
Old 06-28-2023, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I don't really understand the rationale of repairing an old quilt. The quilt can be treasured as it is, while being retired from use out of respect, both for its provenance and for the fact that it has been well used. This, to me, would be preferable to putting new repairs on a worn quilt.

It strikes me, since this relative 'loved loved' the quilts you made for your uncle, that maybe she was hoping you would say, 'I'm not comfortable with the idea of repairing a quilt, but I'd be happy to make you one.'

Of course, that would be separate from the question of whether you would be happy to make her one, and what your terms would be.
first part yes I agree, I don't think I'd personally repair an old quilt. I don't really like the looks of repaired quilts since it changes everything. I did tell her the patches will REALLY stand out and she didn't care.

And yeah my very first thought was she was trying to get a new quilt out of me, but I will not offer to do that. If she asks I'm not sure I want to. My other aunt and uncle have always been very nice, supportive etc and treat my mom (who has severe mental health issues) with respect and kindness. I planned on making a new quilt for our bed and after doing a queen size for my niece who just moved in with her boyfriend I thought better of it. I just can't do big quilts with my own health anymore. So I took the already bought fabric and turned it into two lap quilts. I know for sure they will treasure them and use them. I mean if she offered to pay me I might do it if she just wants on the same size, but again I just don't know. I haven't been sewing as much lately due to health issues, I'm trying something new to see if it helps but so far, nothing. I'm so so exhausted I can barely make it to the bathroom, let alone do a quilt for someone who might not really use it. I do try to force myself to quilt a bit since I have had to give up so many other hobbies. But days like today, I'd rather sell everything and just sleep. haha.
Old 06-28-2023, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

If you are not well - and are barely able to take care of yourself - just return it and say that you can't.

It is OKAY to take care of yourself first in a situation like this.

As I suggested before, maybe you can give her some suggestions for where she might take it (and have to pay to have the work done).

Or suggest she take a quilting class and make one for herself!
Old 06-29-2023, 03:02 AM

I think she doesn't understand all the work involved in making a quilt. When Mom's older quilt had started deteriorating from washings (I used bed sheets instead of fabric for foundation! Never again!), I just trimmed off the outer border. No repairing; it will be repurposed or retired.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:10 AM

I have an old quilt top that I was given. It was hand sewn. I washed it carefully and it does need some mending. But it is very old. I am asking myself. Is it worth it?? I might have to place a backing on it before quilting it. Good luck on your secision