Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend  July 7- ? >

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Old 07-08-2023, 12:11 PM

joe'smom FYI – I have an electric Accuquilt and love it. I use it for all my strips, squares, and rectangles. It is so much faster and accurate than I am. It can cut up to 6 layers of fabric. A full width of fabric has to be folded in half so you still can cut 3 full widths of fabric at once. It’s not hard to use at all and there are videos with instructions. The cutting dies can be expensive but I watch for sales on their website. IMHO
Old 07-08-2023, 12:42 PM

Love those greens. Be sure to share it when done.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:48 PM

Nice selvage blocks, Kalama!

I've been playing in the studio, mainly doodle quilting over top of a sandwich I previously quilted when I rented some time on a long arm just to see if I'd like moving the machine. Decided I'd rather move the quilt than a big machine, but when the Cutie frame went on sale for under $500 last year I bought one to try with my PQ1500s. I've used it to baste two quilts which I then quilted with my Sweet Sixteen and decided to see if I liked doodling with the PQ on the frame. So far it's been fun and I have plans to use the multi-doodled thingamajig to make a cushion for my piano bench once I'm done doodling LOL. The limited size of the quilting area means that I'll probably never do a big quilt with the PQ on the Cutie, but it's fun to play with on something smaller.

Rob
Old 07-08-2023, 02:52 PM

this is fun, like being in a room together. Here's a question, have any of you made any little design boards? Lori Holt has a line, and she likes her $$$ signs I just watched a tute, but wondering if my time is worth more than Lori's?
#1. Anyway, my query, what did you use for a board, I just got my new martelli mat so have a big chunk of cardboard, but would the corners bend up? I like my stuff to stay nice.
#2 I've seen hot glue used, I've made an absolute mess using a glue gun in the past. Has anyone used some kind of bonding like Steam a Seam or SaS2 or Ultrabond of some specific kind?
#3 Do you really need all that doubled seam binding, couldn't it be done with less for less bulk?
#4, my blocks are seldom bigger than 8", more often 3"-6". I'm thinking a 10-12" board should be big enough for traveling?

Fuzzy water time, I like Costco's Spindrift...
Old 07-08-2023, 03:07 PM

I had a class in guild today making curved log cabin blocks.
Kamala, I don’t know what was used inside a project board but the backing was pulled around to the front to bind it. It doesn’t need to be fancy
Old 07-08-2023, 03:24 PM

I just looked up Lori Holts design boards. Hers are way fancy. I have some boards that my husband had at the office which apparently had a mysterious use that no one can remember. They're something like foam board or insulation board with a napped covering that I'm thinking of using for design boards. Not nearly as cute as Lori's.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:17 PM

Okay, I watched the video. IMO, you wouldn't have to put the binding on the edge. It doesn't really seem to have a purpose other than being cute. You could just wrap the batting around to the back and glue it there. You could probably use any glue. Glue guns are just quick and easy.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I'm working on a quilt called Meadowland by Bev McCullough. It's a weekly sewalong but I'm almost finished with it. Lots of fun!
Old 07-08-2023, 05:57 PM

I've had a panel with 20-ish bird images on it for a few years, and finally put it together this week as "floating blocks" so I started quilting it today. All the sashings will have the FMQ leaves; debating about what to do in the blocks themselves. Maybe some echo/outline quilting there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2390.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	644694  
Old 07-08-2023, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
this is fun, like being in a room together. Here's a question, have any of you made any little design boards? Lori Holt has a line, and she likes her $$$ signs I just watched a tute, but wondering if my time is worth more than Lori's?
#1. Anyway, my query, what did you use for a board, I just got my new martelli mat so have a big chunk of cardboard, but would the corners bend up? I like my stuff to stay nice.
#2 I've seen hot glue used, I've made an absolute mess using a glue gun in the past. Has anyone used some kind of bonding like Steam a Seam or SaS2 or Ultrabond of some specific kind?
#3 Do you really need all that doubled seam binding, couldn't it be done with less for less bulk?
#4, my blocks are seldom bigger than 8", more often 3"-6". I'm thinking a 10-12" board should be big enough for traveling?

Fuzzy water time, I like Costco's Spindrift...
I think most people use foam core board or thick corrugated cardboard in those youtube vids.
But you can use almost anything you can dream up.
Insulation board from the hardware store works great, comes in lots of different sizes, and weighs almost nothing.
In a pinch, I used a 10"x14" clip board...just wrapped it a few times with batting and used a big safety pin on the back. It worked great, but using pins to hold down pieces was not as fast as just stabbing them in.

I've also used a box lid...it was a lid from an office supply box-used to hold reams of paper. I just lined the inside with batting and I could carry pieces easily from the ironing board to the sewing machine. I guess you could stack several and carry a whole row to the iron if you wanted to.

Also- you could use a glue stick or even painter's tape or duck tape on the back to secure the batting Or basting spray or even staples on thick cardboard or foam core or insulation board.
None of my impromptu designs were very cute though

edit: you might have to be kinda nice to your corners....

oh...I should also mention that I used insulation board and some left over upholstery tacks once, and the tacks kept falling out. Not great if you walk around in just socks....
so maybe glue is better than tacks?

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 07-08-2023 at 06:10 PM.