Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend  July 7- ? >

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Whatcha Sewing this week/weekend July 7- ?

Old 07-10-2023, 07:15 AM

Good luck "quiltfor" on FMQ your queen size quilt. I always FMQ my own quilts, can be a challenge but very doable. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:57 AM

thimblebug600, what a treasure that bear quilt will be!
Old 07-10-2023, 10:21 AM

Default Hummingbirds

The birds were on the give-away table. It’s ~42x52”
colors are prettier

img_0226.jpeg
Old 07-11-2023, 04:22 AM

I am finishing cushions and pillows for the deck that were supposed to be ready for the 4th of July weekend, but storms with tornados and durache left us without power which throws off most of the plans. So faded brown and rust stripes on chairs with new blue and aqua flowers on white reminded all of the storms.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post

No sewing for me right now -- back trouble. After some observation, I think it may be the cutting that is the issue, and may be time for an electric cutting machine. I've avoided thinking about it because they seem so darned complicated. I enjoy the simplicity and straightforwardness of the rotary blade and cutting mat.
I have actually learned to cut sitting down as the old body just wasn't cooperating with the slightly leaned over of cutting. It took some practice though. The creative grids stripology ruler works great. Much better than others I've tried before. A little pricey but the large one I use all the time for strips and blocks.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:07 AM

well my weekend was very productive! All my selvage blocks are sewn and quartered and pinned ready for assembling in a box ready to go with me on vacation. A lot but not near enough for a quilt, but nothing gets done over night Image is just 3 sets of blocks, I don't have a setting planned yet.

today I'm hoping we can figure out how to make my Eversewn fit in my Singer 404 cabinet. It is my travel machine but I've been using it for a month while my Janome was at spa, I like the idea of two machines in my quilt room for different projects.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	selvages1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	644726  
Old 07-13-2023, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by elly66 View Post
I have actually learned to cut sitting down as the old body just wasn't cooperating with the slightly leaned over of cutting. It took some practice though. The creative grids stripology ruler works great. Much better than others I've tried before. A little pricey but the large one I use all the time for strips and blocks.
Thank you, elly66. My problem is I have no hand strength (ruined joints), so the momentum for cutting has to come from my back, and I don't think that would work sitting down. I'm glad you found what works for you! I agree, the stripology seems to be much more accurate than the Martelli ruler of that type that I tried. Problem is, I can't keep that stripology ruler from shifting, even with gripper strips all over the bottom of it. I suppose that also goes back to the weak hands. The Martelli stayed in place, but there was too much play in the slits.

There don't seem to be any GO! dies available in the sizes I need. I'm a traditional methods quilter, so I use 2 3/8" + the corresponding 4 1/4" inch squares for geese, and so on. They seem to be focused on specialty blocks and applique shapes. Hmm.

edit

Re the dies, I think I just saw the error in my thinking!

Last edited by joe'smom; 07-13-2023 at 10:01 AM. Reason: update