Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two batting related questions >

Two batting related questions

Two batting related questions

Old 07-14-2023, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Snooze 2978, you are serious !!!! Love your space though !
Old 07-14-2023, 02:51 PM

Snooze -- love your sewing area!!
Old 07-14-2023, 07:10 PM

I keep my batting on a roll on the second floor on a spare bed. When I need some batting I place the roll on an old shower curtain rod between two old dining room chairs. the rod sits on the seats and is held where I want it by the slates on the chair back. Think of a roll of toilet paper on a stand. Then I measure out the amount of batting I want, mark the cutting line with a roller chalk marker and cut along that chalk marking. I use a waste piece of wood edging from a remodeling project for my straight edge to keep the cutting line straight. Then I get some exercise and carry the batting down to the basement where my long arm lives. I like to store batting and fabric on the upper floors of the house instead of the basement. As I do have the long arm on a concrete floor in the basement, I have made a "sling" out of an old bed sheet attached to the legs of my table. I just toss the batting in there to keep it off the floor as I quilt along. Works well for me.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:35 AM

Wow, Snooze 2978. I want to come and play at your house! Looks like a fabric store in your basement.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:37 AM

18 months or so ago, WM had a small roll (9 yards by 96") of Pellon natural cotton batting on sale for $15!! If I had been familiar with it, I would have really stocked up. As I'd never used it, I only bought 2 rolls. It's really nice, and the LA had no problems working with it. I specifically asked for her feedback so I would know for future reference.

A few years back, Joanns stopped carrying W&N for a while, and I was frustrated bc that's what I always used my "good coupons" for. They were pushing their own brand. Well, that's when I found out that I could get W&N delivered to my door for less than it cost when I was getting it at Joanns with the coupon. So irritating that they raise their prices so we use the darned coupon and think we are getting a good deal. After a couple of years, they brought back the W&N - I think they found out nobody wanted their store brand, I heard it was awful.

For bed quilts, I often use Hobbs Tuscany Wool. It's lighter weight, warm in winter and cooler in summer. As we have a king sized bed, W&N can get heavy.

Snooze, your sewing room is fabulous! So tidy, too... Lately, I've been feeling like I'm surrounded by clutter.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
First on my inquiry list is batting purchased from Walmarts website. I'm near the end of being able to piece all of my Warm and Natural scraps together and need to stock up again. Wondering which batting you use from there and why? I realize that JoAnns also carries Warn and Natural, but even with a coupon, they are higher than I sometimes want to pay.
I use Walmart Warm and Natural and I buy it online as well as in store. I do not find any difference in the quality. It is the same brand and therefore the same quality. I do not purchase anything from JoAnn's as they closed the store in my area almost 25 years ago. I would have to travel over 100 miles (one way) to get to the nearest store and altho' my powerchair does good going down the road it does NOT do that good.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:40 AM

can I come and shop your sewing area looks like a store