Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shocked at some thread prices >

Shocked at some thread prices

Shocked at some thread prices

Old 07-20-2023, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

I use Bottom Line for piecing, on top and in the bobbin. But with the current prices, I've discovered a substitute that is the same thickness (probably made the same place) and much cheaper. I use different thread weights for quilting on the longarm - 100 wt, 60 wt, and 50 wt, but I don't use cotton because of the lint, and because I actually like poly threads better. I bought a large selection of Superior's 100wt thread when it first came out, and also all the colors of Bottom Line. For 50 wt, which I use most often, I was buying thread from MetroEmb, but now I've discovered BroThread and SimThread, both sold on Amazon. I have a huge stock of thread, so now I only need to buy more if I run out of a color.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:25 AM

I use Aurifil almost exclusively. So much less lint than other cotton threads. Several years ago, there was a store I was getting it from that was discontinuing it, so I bought quite a bit. Some are not your typical neutrals - kind of peach color - but they work well and rarely do you see thread anyhow.

A couple of years ago, I found Wawak, and got some specific Aurifil colors I needed, they have great service and pricing. But during Covid, they stopped carrying it, too. If I need any now, I look online for sales of cones. Much better deal if you can figure a way to rig it at your sewing station.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:36 AM

Hey Linda, I hear you, the prices are just going out of this world. Our hobby or career, whatever it may be to you'll is getting almost too expensive. I keep my eyes open for thread on sale, then buy up to 5 spools so I hopefully will never run out.

Years ago I made a big mistake when estimating how much thread I needed for a quilt. My program gave me the amount in inches but I took it for yards so bought 6 spools of 2 shades of white in Aurifil. It was only afterwards I realized what I did. Luckily it wasn't quite as expensive as it is now. I still have most of those spools as I rarely use Aurifil when quilting. Right now I'm using Signature 3,000yd spool in pale grey but I keep cream and black too when I can find it. Think I picked it up at Walmart but not totally sure on that.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:53 AM

have a fairly large supply of threads. I have been using Aurifil 50 , Mettler silk finish 100%cotton 50 is also nice, these are the two that I have a fairly large supply of. I have also used and liked Superior masterpiece cotton, The polyester ones I have used are Mettler metrosene, Superior SoFine 50, and Superior Bottom line. Threads I don't particularly like but will use if that is the color I need, are Gutterman (think it is more linty), and Wonderfil all purpose polyester which I needed for the color. I thought that one was a bit linty for a poly thread. All the manufacturers make so many kinds of threads, and one kind maybe fine but another, not so much for my purpose. For long arming, I use mainly Superior's SoFine and I do have some Glide which I am intending to try some day. I find it is easier for me to stick to one brand that I like as tension needs less fiddling which I can do if needed, but I am mostly a tad lazy. For the pricing, yep, they are getting pricey especially the cotton. What I try to do is get the biggest spool or cone that I can and compare the amount vs the price. Everyone is saying how expensive Aurifil is yet if you look at the amount on the spool and then compare that to say Coats & Clark, it really looks to me like the Aurifil is a better all things considered. I do wish I had bought more creams and greys when the prices were better as I find more and more, I have a lot of colors that I haven't used much.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:04 AM

I have liked using Bottom Line (60wt) in my bobbin for piecing or quilting with a 50 wt. on top. A bobbin with Bottom Line will last such a long time! I very much like Aurifil, So Fine, and Mettler Silk finish for quilting. But I use what I have and make adjustments. I bought a 6000 yard cone of Omni, which is 40 wt. a very long time ago for piecing and haven't quite gotten to the end of it. When using different thread weights, I sometimes have to make small adjustments when piecing because of the thickness of the thread affecting the seam allowances. On my old longarm, I haven't worried too much about lint, but it simply won't handle certain threads like Bottom Line, which locks up the bobbin. My new sit-down Bernina can handle anything I throw at her.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:43 AM

I have found thru the years that a good Coats & Clark works for me. It seems my machine does not care for high end thread. To each their own on this topic.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

So many brands of thread to choose. I like the big cones of thread, more economical and lasts. I use a thread stand for the large cones for piecing. I use to be a thread snob but not so much now since most good brands are fine. The best quality is Long Staple Egyptian Cotton. Doesn't matter what brand.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:59 AM

I have been using Superior Threads Omni for several months and am very happy with it. I like the look of King Tut better, but my machine doesn't like it. So, Omni it is.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

You don't specify machine or hand quilting thread. I am assuming for quilting by machine. Questions:
1. Do you prefer a matte finish or a shiny thread?
2. Do you prefer the thread to show or just want texture to show?
3. Are you a fiber "purist" or are you ok with synthetic fiber threads (ie not 100% cotton)
4. Why only white? If you want something that seems to play nice with everything and doesn't fight with other colors in the quilt, white isn't always the best choice, but if you seem to only use white as your neutral or background color when piecing, then I suppose it would make sense to only consider white.
5. Assuming machine quilting; are you quilting on a domestic, longarm or midarm?
6. Are you opposed to a different thread in the bobbin than what you are running on the top?

I use many different threads, many different weights, colors and fiber content. For me to suggest what I use would be a long list and most likely offer no help to you. I can offer better recommendations if I know a bit more.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:17 AM

On my DSM I like Connecting Threads.. since I bought my longarm I do my quilting with Glide.