Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Use the Start/Stop Button? >

Do You Use the Start/Stop Button?

Do You Use the Start/Stop Button?

Old 08-03-2023, 08:21 PM

I use the start/stop button exclusively, also. I love mine. Have no issues with stopping where I want.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:44 AM

I have used the start/stop button for sewing without issues. On my machine, it can be set to control width of zig/zag stitches OR as a start/stop feature. It is a setting in the preferences menu.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:41 AM

I sometimes use it, works good but takes getting used to. My granddaughters use it as their little legs don't reach the floor.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:04 AM

Interesting. I've never used mine. Do you have to keep your hand hovering over the button all the time? Both of my hands are usually on the piece I'm guiding through, so I can't imagine getting to that button without some loss of control. And then, I think the button is right next to a cutter button I never use, so I can imagine hitting that accidentally.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:08 AM

I make a lot of jelly roll rugs and I use the start/stop button for those, especially when I am make the "cord" part of the rug. When I start the zigzag portion of the rug, I use my foot control for the first 3-4 corners for better control, but once the cornered ends become easier, I switch back to the button. When piecing I prefer the foot control for the shorter stitch lengths.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Interesting. I've never used mine. Do you have to keep your hand hovering over the button all the time? Both of my hands are usually on the piece I'm guiding through, so I can't imagine getting to that button without some loss of control. And then, I think the button is right next to a cutter button I never use, so I can imagine hitting that accidentally.
You nailed it! These are some prime reasons for me as well.
Reading about it, though, it seems that I would need to also adjust the machine speed once I start. Most of the time my machine is on fast and I control the speed with my foot. It still seems like giving up some control but I will consider trying.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
You nailed it! These are some prime reasons for me as well.
Reading about it, though, it seems that I would need to also adjust the machine speed once I start. Most of the time my machine is on fast and I control the speed with my foot. It still seems like giving up some control but I will consider trying.
You can still adjust your machine speed between the start and stop. It's not that hard to keep stitching while adjusting the speed or pressing stop. All about getting used to it. That ol' practice practice practice thing strikes again!!!
Old 08-05-2023, 06:19 PM

When I learned to sew it was in 1962 and the machine was in a cabinet with a knee control. It was a pain to me to use a foot pedal - the stupid things are always slipping away. So when I got my Janome with the start & stop button, I love it. It did take a few days to learn to use it without a problem. Setting the speed is the clue to success.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:34 AM

My foot pedal starting acting up a couple of years ago so I just unplugged it & started using the start/stop button and have been using it since then. I really like using it. I did find that I had to slow down my speed when using it & that is fine with me. After getting used to the button, you don't have to hover over it all the time. I also found that if I just barely tap the button one time the needle will make one stitch so it's easy to position the needle where I want it when I stop. I'm so used to it now that I don't even have to look to find the button when I need to start/stop.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:48 PM

I have tried, every which way I can think of to use that start stop button, but...nope. I've figured out I'd need three hands to make it work for me. I'm good though, in that I really do like my foot pedals on both my machines. I learned on a knee lever, and the foot pedal was a natural for me.