Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
A death and an oppertunity >

A death and an oppertunity

A death and an oppertunity

Old 09-06-2023, 06:08 AM

Default Image follow up from original post

Attempting to post an image. I've followed the instructions. I can't see the image or a place holder for it in this Reply AND you guys said don't hit Preview so, flying a bit blind here. Apologies to all if this has to be deleted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20230906_094302.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1,020.9 KB
ID:	645330  
Old 09-06-2023, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Sorry for your loss. I cannot find a user by that name on Quilting Board.

I could not find the name Kalcevic on the Member's List and that list has everyone from day one who has registered. Are you sure that is the member's name she used?
Old 09-06-2023, 06:23 AM

Thanks for sharing! The butterfly wall hanging is beautiful.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:22 AM

QuiltersSon, I too am so sorry about your mom.
It looks like she is an incredible quilter! I absolutely love those butterflies
I hope you come back and visit us often, and post more pictures of her quilts.

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-06-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:55 AM

Starting over. Here are a couple of my mom's quilts and a shot of her quilting room:

And the reason I'm saying 'Hi' is to ask what the best way to dispose of my mom's favorite thing in the world - her sawing room?

I can send a list of all the equipment, sawing machines, serger, big-ass quilting machine thingy, etc.

It's a lot, like, a WHOLE LOT.

What do you guys think, list it as parts of try to just sell the entire room to people who can and will use it?
Old 09-06-2023, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sorry for your loss. I cannot find a user by that name on Quilting Board.

I could not find the name Kalcevic on the Member's List and that list has everyone from day one who has registered. Are you sure that is the member's name she used?
She may not have found this site, her loss for sure. I've been poking around here, WOW, what an amazing site!

She made a ton of quilts BUT she wasn't super good with technology so this site and the entire forum thingy might have gone past her, again, a real shame.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:38 PM
Administrator

please note that you can't sell any of it here.
we have strict rules about who is and isn't eligible to sell in the QB thrift shop.

that said, i am sure members will offer you lots of good suggestions about where and how you can sell successfully.

i am sad to hear that your mother has passed.
i wish you the best of luck sharing her passion with others.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I was thinking you must mean sewing, not sawing, but then - isn't that a chain saw in the lower right corner? And a circular saw in a drawer?

I would advertise on craigslist and other local sites for the longarm and other big items. See if there's a guild in your area, and let them know what's for sale. They may be willing to help with the sale for a share in the profits. Yard sales for fabric and quilting tools are great if you make sure that quilters in the area know about them. Selling the whole thing at once is probably not realistic.

I'm sorry that you lost your mother. Her quilts are beautiful.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:28 PM

That is exactly what I'm looking for - advice on how best to deal with the room - either break it up or try to sell it all at once or some other idea AND where I should post it for sale.

I didn't notice if your site has a Classifieds section or not.

Anyway, yes, just looking for advice on best practice to take care of this mountain of quilting bits and pieces.

I'm a really good furniture maker and have an equally cool and deep shop back in LA (my mom's quilting shop is in GA), I wish I knew anything about quilting but at 59 years-old, I'm not all that interested in taking up a new high-level skill like quilting.

She used to also take other people's quilts (sorry, don't know if there's a name for un-assembled quilts) and, 'quilt' them (hope I'm saying that right).
Old 09-06-2023, 01:39 PM

OMG, can anyone say 'dyslexia' - I swear, in my mind, 'sawing' and 'sewing' are exactly the same - how funny - THANK YOU for correcting me!!!

And yes, you did notice the Husqvarna chainsaw - matches the sewing machine:

You know, gotta' keep your Swedes close together in case you get invaded and need a save haven.... right?!?

No, all that is my youngest Brother's - and, get the hankies out, he died July 8th.

So, now I have two entire humans lives-worth of crap to break down and sell, give away, keep or donate - good times.

GOOD EYE spotting all that!