Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
A death and an oppertunity >

A death and an oppertunity

A death and an oppertunity

Old 09-07-2023, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I'm glad you figured out the picture posting -- and you can even embed them in the text which is something I haven't gotten down yet.

I would also second the suggestion to look at maybe getting an estate sale/auction company involved -- looking at the general map around Lawrenceville, I see several options including "A Perfect Piece". Just as you introduced yourself to us, a similar introduction or mention of "a quilter's house, complete with long arm set-up, sewing machines, lots of fabric, etc." It can seem like a lot of money to go for a professional, but they know the market and going rate and can do most of the work for you, most operate on a flat fee + percent of proceeds so they want to sell high too. There are also more work for you options -- I used to get a lot of stuff from MaxSold, which is sort of a hybrid between ebay and garage sales. Sadly, they don't operate in my new area. Finally, there are places that specialize in Long Arms, like Long Arm University. Looking at their Machines for Sale page can give you an idea of some of the things you will need to know about your set-up:
https://longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html

I recently moved from a house I was in for some 30 years... it is a lot of work to clear out a quilters house! Wish I was a thousand or so miles closer, I am in the market for a long arm.
Okay, so, first things first - it's easy to upload inline photos - it's just very old school - at least in technology terms. This forum is running on a very old forum software version - I'm sure the mods here work their collective asses off to keep up with all the daily work that goes into holding this community AND they probably (absolutory sure they have) know about updates to make it work in a modern way - including 3 clicks to upload any image or video in seconds BUT, and this is a big 'BUT', the transitions are never easy or without problems especialy if there's custom work that's been done that might or might not be updateable.

Whatever, not my job and full applause to the mods for the work they do.

That being said, here's how you upload inline / body images:
Go to Postimages, it's one of many photo holding sites, I like it mostly because they haven't gone out of business OR, worse, they hold your images hostage unless the poster pays them - AND if you don't pay them, you end up with blurry images on your site instead of the image the person originally uploaded. Feels a lot like hostage taking....

Basicly, you go on that page, pick your size, I default it to 800x600, pick your image then is processes it and offers you a bunch of options to copy or link to your image, the URL part.

I use the Direct Link option (second down on the list), hit the 'copy' symbol at the end of that line and paste that the in the URL box you get once you hit the Image button on this site. Hit Tab to see that the image is in the box below (ignore any cropping, doesn't matter).

Hit Ok button and in seconds, your image is uploaded.

From start to finish, it took me more time to lay this quilt out an take the picture then to upload it here:

Easy.

Secondly, GREAT advice, I'll take every bit of that and call all of them.

Yes, I wish you lived closer to my mom's house also. I can't imaging how expensive the shipping on one of these long-arm machines is - can't be worth it I assume.

Anyway, back to the work of dealing with cleaning and sorting out all the rest of her stuff, I'll deal with the sewing / quilting room another day as I get smarter about my options.

THANKS again!

- Patrick

Old 09-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

So sorry about your mom. I agree with all the suggestions regarding guilds, quilt shops, estate sales, etc. And your mom's friends if I missed that one. I am tempted to come look since I am about an hour away. But, also in that place of not accumulating more at this stage in my life. Hoping everything finds a good home!
Old 09-07-2023, 03:35 PM

If not previously suggested, another place you would find interested buyers would be local quilt guilds. Either google to find them or contact local quilt shops.

The quilts you've shown are lovely. I hope that you will keep a few and remember her hands lovingly working on them. May you find comfort in them and in your memories.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
So sorry about your mom. I agree with all the suggestions regarding guilds, quilt shops, estate sales, etc. And your mom's friends if I missed that one. I am tempted to come look since I am about an hour away. But, also in that place of not accumulating more at this stage in my life. Hoping everything finds a good home!
Come on now, don't be hasty, me and the Girls think you need more stuff, like a LOT more stuff.

Here's another of her quilts:

I don't think this quilt has even been washed yet.

Anyway, thanks.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:44 PM

QuiltersSon -- I am very sorry for the loss of your mom and brother. That is rough. Your mother's work is beautiful! When you start to organize the fabric piles try to keep projects together with their patterns if there are any left undone. Keep yardage separate from scraps. It is just easier to organize and keep track of things that way for selling. Rulers with rulers, thread with thread... you get the feeling right? You work with wood so keeping like materials together should be instinctive for you. As you box or bag things up, make sure you label it so you don't have to reopen it to remember what it is. That long arm is HUGE! I am sure someone may have mentioned contacting the manufacturer to find out if they have someone you should contact to resell it. I think Iceblossom's link to long arm University will get you the biggest bang for your buck but I don't know how quickly things sell on that site.

Some of the quilt stores in the area may be interested in purchasing some of her yardage or might even allow you to consign some items with them to sell. There is no fast or easy without an estate sale person taking care of it for you. Keep getting the word out. I hope you get some help soon. Thank you for sharing your mom's talent!!

Old 09-07-2023, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
QuiltersSon -- I am very sorry for the loss of your mom and brother. That is rough. Your mother's work is beautiful! When you start to organize the fabric piles try to keep projects together with their patterns if there are any left undone. Keep yardage separate from scraps. It is just easier to organize and keep track of things that way for selling. Rulers with rulers, thread with thread... you get the feeling right? You work with wood so keeping like materials together should be instinctive for you. As you box or bag things up, make sure you label it so you don't have to reopen it to remember what it is. That long arm is HUGE! I am sure someone may have mentioned contacting the manufacturer to find out if they have someone you should contact to resell it. I think Iceblossom's link to long arm University will get you the biggest bang for your buck but I don't know how quickly things sell on that site.

Some of the quilt stores in the area may be interested in purchasing some of her yardage or might even allow you to consign some items with them to sell. There is no fast or easy without an estate sale person taking care of it for you. Keep getting the word out. I hope you get some help soon. Thank you for sharing your mom's talent!!
Thank you, I don't think the entirety of the loss has set in yet - it feels like I'm on a spinning top and something keeps winding me up to go and go and go, Very strange feeling, can't put my finger on it, feels like the edge of sadness with just enough depression sprinkled on top to let me know more is coming. Like that.

My mom seemed to be very organized - I think. Here's a couple in a LONG row of shelves of, well, I don't know what you call it, umm, cut fabric??

About 15 more of these [said the man banging his head on the table over and over again...]

And of course, rulers:

Right, feels like she was organized - yes, no??

The estate sale seems stupid at this point. I just found out today that I don't have to sell her house for maybe as long as 6 months so that should give me a decent amount of time to reach out to all the different places you guys have suggested.

I can't start calling anybody till next week, I'm zipping back to LA tomorrow then I've got a trade show in MI (The Battery Show, in case any of you guys are going to find yourself in MI this coming week, you know, we could get together and talk about batteries and thread and bobbins and quilts and EVs and stuff...).

Ugh
Old 09-08-2023, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltersSon View Post
Thank you, I don't think the entirety of the loss has set in yet - it feels like I'm on a spinning top and something keeps winding me up to go and go and go, Very strange feeling, can't put my finger on it, feels like the edge of sadness with just enough depression sprinkled on top to let me know more is coming. Like that.

My mom seemed to be very organized - I think. Here's a couple in a LONG row of shelves of, well, I don't know what you call it, umm, cut fabric??

About 15 more of these [said the man banging his head on the table over and over again...]

And of course, rulers:

Right, feels like she was organized - yes, no??

The estate sale seems stupid at this point. I just found out today that I don't have to sell her house for maybe as long as 6 months so that should give me a decent amount of time to reach out to all the different places you guys have suggested.

I can't start calling anybody till next week, I'm zipping back to LA tomorrow then I've got a trade show in MI (The Battery Show, in case any of you guys are going to find yourself in MI this coming week, you know, we could get together and talk about batteries and thread and bobbins and quilts and EVs and stuff...).

Ugh
Instead of selling it all...why don't you start using it all? Learn to quilt...it is a lovely hobby...until the bug bites 😁
Old 09-08-2023, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

If you decide to sell the fabric yourself, I would suggest selling it by the pound. My guild did that, charging $5/pound. You might need to adjust the price for your area. You do need to have a reliable scale, but it would be much easier to sell it that way than to measure and charge by the yard.