Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking Your Insights On Quilting Challenges >

Seeking Your Insights On Quilting Challenges

Seeking Your Insights On Quilting Challenges

Old 09-08-2023, 04:26 AM

Post Seeking Your Insights On Quilting Challenges

Hey there! I hope this message finds you well, and you're enjoying your quilting journey to the fullest!

I´ve recently gotten into quilting, and am currently exploring ways to make the quilting experience even more enjoyable, efficient, and hassle-free for all quilting enthusiasts.

I am genuinely interested in hearing from you about any hurdles, pain points, or challenges you may have encountered during your quilting adventures. Your insights would be invaluable! Your feedback will be kept confidential, and your valuable perspectives will be instrumental in shaping the future of quilting.

Thank you for your dedication to this craft, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards, Casper

Last edited by patricej; 09-09-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

That's a big much just starting quilting and wanting to make it more enjoyable to all quilters. Most have figured it out after the first dozen quilts. Are you writing a book? Starting a quilting youtube channel? From my experience all quilting hurdles, pain points and challenges have been addressed many times by every you tube quilter, quilt blogger, and instructor.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:33 AM

Welcome to the boards Caseb, glad you found us!

I was a happy solo quilter for years and years (yikes! 40+), especially since I started young and rather intimidated by the "little old quilting ladies" that I've since become. Joining a guild, and a small work group -- and the forums here have made a big difference I am refreshed and inspired by seeing what other people are doing around me, even when their styles of expression are very different than mine. Plus, it's just nice to be around people of similar interests who can understand the work and more that goes into a project.

For me, the planning and design (and fabric collection) parts of the process is my favorite, I joke that my favorite quilt is "the next one", and there is usually at least one point from design to finish that I am just bored to tears with the current project... but I have a very good record of "no UFOs" (un-finished objects) but some are in progress for a long time! And it helps that I consider a finished top as a finished project -- just not quite a quilt yet.

I think in many ways starting when and how I did (solo, young, 1970s) was an advantage. I didn't start in the era of designers and classes and such, just with black and white block illustrations with no yardage or setting instructions, much less "how to". I think it can be hard for many beginners to take the leap and select their own fabrics and their own design sense instead of copying others. Not that there is anything wrong with making/copying something that is exactly what you like!

We do have many standards and ways to do things... some of these are worthwhile things to know. I flout the "quilt police' because I press open instead of to one side. I think with machine quilting that is becoming more accepted. I quilt a lot less than is currently popular (because long arm quilting machines make it easier). As I watch some of my older project get used, some of my earlier pieces did not have enough quilting to hold them up with repeated washing and such, but I'm ok that my quilts get used and used up! I am not passing down heirlooms, I'm making blankets that will get used, pets will be on, and sometimes things will be spilled. On a previous board, I used a tag line something like "It can be made of 3 layers, but if you can't wrap a sick baby in it -- it's not a quilt!" I got tired of explaining/offending art and heirloom quilters that my tag was not a personal attack, just my vision of what I do.

Old 09-08-2023, 08:01 AM

How much time do you have? LOL It would take years to talk about all of those things. I'm with Onebyone, that seems a bit much to ask of people you haven't had any interaction with before. What is it specifically you want to know?
Old 09-08-2023, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by caseb View Post
Your feedback will be kept confidential, and your valuable perspectives will be instrumental in shaping the future of quilting
feedback would be posted here, in the public forum.
or are you phishing for personal contact information?
Old 09-08-2023, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patricej View Post
feedback would be posted here, in the public forum.
or are you phishing for personal contact information?
Like you, PatriceJ, ... some red flags went up for me as I read through the initial post by the newbie CaseB.

Most don't say they are a new quilter, while stating " ... your valuable perspectives will be instrumental in shaping the future of quilting".

Yes, CaseB. maybe you are going to change the quilting world, but usually one walks before they run in leaps and bounds!

If CaseB, you are genuine, all the best to you.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:50 AM

I would rather the quilting world not change. I like the way it is. Quilting is already enjoyable and we already have all the efficient tools (toys!) available for us. I don't understand what you mean by making quilting even more enjoyable, efficient, and hassle-free for all quilting enthusiasts.? If it isn't broken, don't fix it, as the saying goes.
I don't know what you are planning to change, but the only recommendation I have is to keep the quality of products up but bring the prices down.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:52 AM

sorry, but this sounds to me like a wanna be scammer, plisher, or forum troll. Watch out later for them to provide a link -- Just a warning - Do NOT click on any links provided.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 09-08-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:49 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I’m still new here but love that the rest of you posted what I was thinking 😊.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:39 PM

After I posted, my inner disquiet rose in me until it was too late to edit.

I'm thinking maybe it OP is trying to do some sort of "click bait" feature like the "10 things to never buy" which turn out to be entirely personal opinions like "the big box of cereal because I get bored of eating it every day and it gets stale". Oh well,

If they are a real quilter, they will post again and we can all make nice. But I'm still not going to buy/invest in anything!