Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias >

Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias

Binding With Straight Of Grain Or On The Bias

Old 09-21-2023, 03:12 AM

I don't particularly have a preference, but usually cut straight of grain. However, if I have a stripe that I can cut on the bias to make a diagonal stripe (like a candycane), I'll do it. A diagonal stripe is my favorite binding.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:02 AM

Thanks for your inputs everyone! Straight of grain seems so much easier and I like the fact that I can use scrappy strips for binding. Have have three quilts ready to bind and I'll be using the straight of grain now!
Old 09-21-2023, 05:13 AM

I mostly do cross-grain except for stripes or curved edging. However - one of the reasons for using biased binding is that it will last longer. When cut on/cross grain, the fold as well as the edge of the binding hinges on one or two threads. If one of those threads wears and breaks it can lead to a split in the fabric. If cut on the bias, the folds of the binding cut across the threads, don't align with them, and any break of a single thread is just a small hole and less likely to "rip". That being said, and apart from decorative stripes in binding, using a biased binding for children's quilts might be a good choice because of the wear they are likely to get.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:40 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I make bias binding for all my quilts. Maybe if I were more prolific with my quilting, I would change, but I don't see that happening anymore.

Leslie
Old 09-24-2023, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Synnove View Post
I used to make all my quilts with bias binding. But once I began using straight of grain I liked it better, it was easier, and now I do them all that way.
This is an interesting statement as I am currently where you once were. I was taught to use bias binding and all my quilts have been with bias binding, even things like baby items that have binding on them. To me it's like that tape that can be purchased but what I make matches the item. I'm intrigued by your comment "it was easier" and might have to try straight grain sometime. It would certainly be easier to make strips than that huge square that bias binding making starts with.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

It's amazing we tend to go with I was told to rather then think of the why so. Most of the old ways are no longer relevant at all.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:18 AM

For my latest finish, I cut 2.25" wide pieces of scraps from the main fabric. I pressed the seams open, but did not press in half. Next time, I'll press.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lake binding scraps.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	645668