Mystery Leaf

Old 09-20-2023, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Take your photo to a local plant nursery or garden shop and ask them. On the other hand, you may already have your answer.
I agree with taking it to a plant nursery or garden shop. However, I don't think that it is American Pokeweed, Krato, or hydrangea. To me it looks like heliotrope, but it is a tender perennial so probably not in your area. There is a list of Nurseries & Gardening in Manasses at https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=gar...as%2C+VA+20110 I also thought of an extension office which should be able to identify, but don't know the correct procedure. I think I would call or email and see if they can help -- https://www.pwcva.gov/department/vir...ture-help-desk
Old 09-20-2023, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Take your photo to a local plant nursery or garden shop and ask them. On the other hand, you may already have your answer.
I was going to a plant nursery today anyway so I took a leaf for them to identify. It is still a mystery. The expert (who claims to know every leaf in the world... eyeroll) claims that it is not a pokeweed or hydrangea. He thinks Costco sold me a weed. Another employee will do some more research and call me if she finds out anything.

A neighbor asked her gardening forum, and they came back with Heliotropium as OurWorkbench suggested. But they are only periennial in Zones 9 & 10. I'm in Zone 7 so since these plants have been planted for two years, I don't think that's it. Her link to the Virginia Extension Office shows a local office near to me so I may take it there.

The leaves resemble some varieties of Leatherleaf Viburnum.

A friend who is a landscaper thought it could be in the peperomia family, but those don't like Zone 7 either.

Whatever it is, the leaves are very pretty. I'm still curious about what it is. I'll leave it alone and watch what happens.

Last edited by JENNR8R; 09-20-2023 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:27 PM

OH that is not a weed. Plant it somewhere and just be surprised!
Old 09-20-2023, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
OH that is not a weed. Plant it somewhere and just be surprised!
It has been planted in my yard for two years. I’m letting it stay there to see what develops.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

As soon as I saw it I thought it couldn't be a lilac but I have no idea what it is. Pretty leaves.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:20 PM

It looks like Basil to me, but I’m no expert!
Old 09-23-2023, 10:41 PM

It looks a bit like some variety of potato plant to me
maybe a red potato like this?
https://photos1.blogger.com/hello/27...%20flowers.jpg
or this potato?
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/wp-...tato-plant.jpg

wonder what it really is...fun mystery...
Old 10-02-2023, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I also thought of an extension office which should be able to identify, but don't know the correct procedure. I think I would call or email and see if they can help -- https://www.pwcva.gov/department/vir...ture-help-desk
Thank you OurWorkBench for this link. There is a walk-in Horticultural Help Desk staffed by master gardeners at an office of the Virginia Cooperative Extension close to me. I went there with sample leaves and pictures of the plant. The first volunteer didn't have a clue, but he passed it on to another master gardener who called me back today.

Her first thought was that it couldn't possibly be a lilac. After some research she decided it is a variety of Preston Lilac (Syringa Prestoniae). There are thousands of varieties, and she could not find exactly which variety I have. She thinks it will be a few more years before it blooms. It has grown two feet this year, and that is the typical growth rate for this lilac. It will grow 10 feet high and 10 feet wide at maturity.

This is exciting. I have a very unique bush in my yard.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:59 AM

With that and your Sassafras you are going to have a great spot for the birds and bees to visit!
Old 10-02-2023, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
With that and your Sassafras you are going to have a great spot for the birds and bees to visit!
I told the master gardener about the Sassafras tree too. She was very happy that I had decided to plant her favorite tree in my yard. Even though it is native to this area, nurseries don't sell the trees here. I ordered a bare root tree from a guy on eBay who lives 300 miles away. He waits to dig up a twig (it would be an exaggeration to call it a stick) with roots until you order it. He dug it up and shipped it on the same day, and I received it three days later. He actually had included two twigs, and I planted both of them. Hopefully, at least one will grow.