Howdy all!

Old 10-05-2023, 07:22 AM

Default Howdy all!

Hello everyone!

I'm so very grateful to be here. I don't know anyone close to me who sews or quilts, so it really is a treat to find you all.

My grandma taught me to sew, and I've done that for many, many years. Clothes, bags, pillowcases, etc. I would make some rag quilts, or very simple square patch quilts, but never thought I could complete a "real" quilt. But one day I decided to give it a whirl. I signed up for a year long sew along where you made 1-4 blocks a month. I thought I could do 2 blocks a month...well it ended up taking me 2 years to finish, but I finished! The quilting bug bit me though. Unfortunately I'm really good at picking out projects and getting them started...but not so good a finishing. Partly due to life happenings, so I have to remember to give my self grace, but focus also.

I'd love to have some accountability to stay focused and finish. I'm still more of a beginner quilter, even though I've been dabbling in it for a few years, but I sure hope I can encourage you all too.

I think I've attached a pic of the flimsy of my first "real" quilt. (If not, sorry, still trying to figure the tech stuff out). I promise I did get it quilted and bound!

Blessings to you all!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	E22B2384-662C-44BF-8D49-C24B2A8AC89E.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	645802  
Old 10-05-2023, 07:49 AM

Welcome from sunny Southern California. I was raised not to start a new project until I've finished the old one. That doesn't mean I can't collect everything I need for the new project (usually the most fun anyway). Wanting to start that new project is motivation for finishing the old.

Your quilt was ambitious, and no wonder it took you two years to finish. Good job!
Old 10-05-2023, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SallyS View Post
Welcome from sunny Southern California. I was raised not to start a new project until I've finished the old one. That doesn't mean I can't collect everything I need for the new project (usually the most fun anyway). Wanting to start that new project is motivation for finishing the old.

Your quilt was ambitious, and no wonder it took you two years to finish. Good job!
Thank you Sally!! I grew up in So. Cal. It's a great habit. I'm getting there slowly. Thankfully my daughter is better than me, so we're getting there!
Old 10-05-2023, 09:48 AM

Welcome to the boards and big grats on figuring out how to post pictures already, that's impressive

You might find the UFO (Un Finished Objects) thread a good place for motivation --
UFO 2023 Challenge

I'm pretty good with finishing, or at getting an unquilted top made but I need serious help/intervention in using the fabric I collect and not just adding to my sizable stash.

What area of the country are you at now? I've just left the Seattle area for central Illinois -- in many ways a pretty big change but I've already met quilters out here.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! Your quilt is beautiful! Wow, I can't believe it's your first one. Really impressive.
I don't always finish a project before I start a new one. It depends on my mood or any one of a million other factors.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:22 PM

Iceblossom I'm in Texas now and love it!! I'll definitely get on the UFO board. Thank you so much!! So glad you've been able to meet fellow quilters in your area. That's a blessing!
Old 10-05-2023, 02:30 PM

Susie, have to say I love the way you spell your name. Someone very dear to me spells it the same. Thank you for your compliment! I think it came out alright, because I've sewn for so long, so I understood a lot of the basics, like accurate seams, measuring, and cutting. Plus the pattern was meant for newbies, so it had a lot of explanations. There are plenty of mistakes, but as one person told me if you can't notice them on a galloping horse 50 feet away, it's fine.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:45 PM

Welcome from central Maine.
Holy cow is all I can say.
​​​​Your first "real quilt", as you call it, wow nothing like jumping right in. It is absolutely beautiful. I've been quilting at least 20 years and I don't think I would tackle that quilt now. I admire you. Welcome, and I look forward to seeing your future projects.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:04 AM

Wow! You did a great job on your first quilt! And you learned how to post a pic, that's something I haven't figured out yet. LOL Welcome from Delaware and happy quilting.
Old 10-06-2023, 04:57 AM

Welcome from South Texas! Your quilt is amazing! My first was literally squares stitched together. This board is amazing. If someone doesn't have an answer/suggestion, there is usually direction/link to search!