Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to wash a queen size quilt >

how to wash a queen size quilt

how to wash a queen size quilt

Old 10-11-2023, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Erie@1619 View Post
I am completing a queen size quilt and would like to give it the wrinkled effect and shrink the size 8 needle holes without having to put it in my washing machine--I just about broke the washer last time I tried this! Could putting it in the dryer with several yards of already-washed and wet fabric net me the same effect?
I am not sure which washing machine you put it in but I can wash a large king sized quilt 120"x120" with warm and natural batting in my front loader. Do not put it in a machine that has an agitator. It will possibly shred your quilt.
Old 10-11-2023, 06:27 PM

For anything bigger than twin size, I go to the laundromat and they’re super sized washers and dryers. I add 3-5 wool dryer balls, and I reposition the quilt a few times while it is drying. Works much better than in my washer at home.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:07 AM

Laundromat, take a book. You will be glad you didn't put your home machine thru the stress of a large heavy quilt.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I can wash my king quilt in my front loader. It does a good job.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:06 AM

Someone told me house taxes in England are based on number of rooms. Even a closet with door is considered a room.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:08 AM

At laundromat, check inside of tub. I use disinfectant.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:24 AM

I was hesitant to wash my king size quilt in my top loader. But, I have a Speed Queen, large size, and it is made with the old style movement, where the agitator swishes back and forth and doesn't swish in a circle like the 'modern' top loaders. After debating with myself, I decided to give it a try, ready to stop it, if it seemed too trying for the washer.

I set it on the bulk load and gave it a whirl. No problems at all, not even extra noise, it sounded just like a normal household laundry load. Didn't even get off balance in the spin cycles. -- In checking, it also washed well enough that all of my chalk and marker marking were removed in the wash. Didn't have any issues with the dryer either (a Speed Queen as well), put it on for an hour and it was totally dry.

If my washer had the 'modern' agitator that swishes in a circle, I wouldn't have put it in. I used to have a washer like that before I bought my Speed Queen and even jeans/sheets/towels got all knotted up. With the Speed Queen - I've had it for a year now. No tangles or knotted up clothes at all.

It was more expensive, but well worth it. Especially since when I purchased it, there was a promotional warranty of total coverage - all parts and labor -- for 10 years!

My last washer only had a partial warranty coverage of 1 year unless you purchased additional coverage and it still wouldn't cover all the parts or labor.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:59 AM

I can't seem to avoid the crinkled look, even with pre-shrunk batting and air drying of the quilt. It crinkles no matter what.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I haven't seen a newer top loader with an agitator in a long time. Mine is just an empty tub that goes back and forth. It will hold a stack of quilts folded just like a big storage bin. I won't try to wash the stack though. LOL I love it for washing yardage. I use the handwash cycle and the fabric has no fraying on the ends. It's horrible if you have dirty work/yard clothes to get clean. I don't think the new washers are made to clean dirt dirty clothes. My friend who has a farm/ranch had to buy a commercial washer get the work clothes clean and only has hot water running to it as the hot cycle was really only warm water. The new washers add cold to the hot cycle.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I can't seem to avoid the crinkled look, even with pre-shrunk batting and air drying of the quilt. It crinkles no matter what.
I love that the quilts I make crinkle. I think it makes them look like the old fashioned quilts from way back and not like the store bought quilts that look more like a thin comforter. But, we like what we like.

Perhaps if you use all polyester batting, polyester thread, and pre-wash your fabric you can get the un-crinkled look you like.