Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Gift Ideas >

Quilt Gift Ideas

Quilt Gift Ideas

Old 11-18-2023, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
My new sewing group is going to have only 2 meetings in December. They will have an additional (or maybe 1 of the 2) as a coffee shop meeting. Helps that at max there are only like 10-12, usual group is more like 6.

I really enjoy having a group to go to, and for me the "holiday" season isn't a very big time/stress commitment. Especially now with no driving or family events. Even before the move with family events we are in a big gap period with no weddings or babies or such things, we mostly go potluck style and my house was too small for comfortable entertaining. Is one of the reasons the Bonnie Hunter mystery works for me, is a good time to stay in with a project. Maybe next year I will know more people and have more furniture and can invite people over.

But, trying to say this nicely, the sewing group people aren't friends (yet) and probably won't be. They are just people with a single shared interest kind enough to let me in (and I appreciate that!). With a large guild I might have more chances at having friends with more commonality. While I enjoy the group, I'm thinking of skipping the coffee social and not intrude where I have little in common especially since they all know and talk about other people but have little interest in me talking about people they don't know...

Anyway, for gift exchanges I'm a fan of fancy socks. I did a search on "sewing themed socks" on Amazon -- some of which were not very quilting related or appropriate for giving to random people but made me laugh.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sewing+th...ocks+for+women
I thought the socks were cute to look at - but at the prices they were asking - I would leave them where they were.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=cathyvv;8624502]I bought one of these organizers for myself. My husband took it, so I bought another one. He absconded with that one, too. So I bought another one and told him he could not have it!

https://www.joann.com/7in-x-5in-gray.../18105676.html[/QUOTE

Looks like a much better than average organizer. I would like one of those. Ii could see it being useful in many areas.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I redundantly reiterate the idea of everyone pooling some $$ and donating to a group of children or veterans etc who could use it. Seems like if we are grasping at straws to figure out a gift idea for people who can buy their own gizmos then that money could be used for a greater purpose.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Why not do both Alyce? Definitely give to veterans' and children's groups, and also buy a "happy" for the guild exchange.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Why not do both Alyce? Definitely give to veterans' and children's groups, and also buy a "happy" for the guild exchange.
didn't seem an option on forum.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

. My husband and I support three charities generously and I don't give money in lieu of something else. A group deserves a little take, not all give give give. I like gift exchanges but not the meal stuff. I suggested having a gift exchange in Nov meeting to celebrate everyone's birthday. Have a nice decorated cake and drinks. Do away with the Dec meeting. It will come up to a vote for next year. Seems many like that idea.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;8624608]
Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I bought one of these organizers for myself. My husband took it, so I bought another one. He absconded with that one, too. So I bought another one and told him he could not have it!

https://www.joann.com/7in-x-5in-gray.../18105676.html[/QUOTE

Looks like a much better than average organizer. I would like one of those. Ii could see it being useful in many areas.
Bear,

It clears up real estate near my long arm. Since I'm teaching my 21 year old Autistic grandson. to use long arm (computerized), I felt a need to be more organized. Turns out he's motivated by money, so is actually interested. I hesitated to ask him to learn to use the long arm, then realized the worst he could do was say no.

I am very proud of him!
Old 11-18-2023, 11:17 PM
Power Poster

I like the gift exchanges and potluck. Parties and meeting people is fun. I got black pepper allergy so I don't eat anything at a potluck but I like contributing. Whatever the rules are with the exchange as long as they are being followed I am fine. I like giving something that people like and my expectations on the receiving side are pretty low. Some of the ideas of making a quality home made item, Best Press, quality fabrics (tone on tone), seem like fun ideas. We have a food bank at church and there are many wonderful causes quilters generously donate to. It is OK to have a party and have fun.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:56 PM

I like the idea of the gift exchange being optional. Some like others don't. I used to love potluck but these days so many people have food issues including me. If I go and am selective or don't eat the food some people question and try to push food on me can't have. Some people accept and just move on.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I rarely eat anything at potlucks. A few things I will eat because I know who made it. The rest I put portions on my plate and say oh this looks good and this smells amazing. I talk and visit so no one notices what I eat or don't eat. My plate looks full but its never eaten. Learned how to eat without eating at potlucks from my grandmother's ladies group at church. I should write a book about that group and what I learned going to all the 'things' they got involved in. I lived with my grandmother and she took me to all her doings. LOL