Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Fan Advice >

Grandmother's Fan Advice

Grandmother's Fan Advice

Old 11-19-2023, 05:50 AM

Seems like an appropriate time to post this again. Not quilted yet but my November/Thanksgiving quilt top.

I used the John Flynn acrylic templates for 2 projects. It is a 10" square finished block size. Then of I used what I call the Eleanor Burns methog using 1/2" rickrack for the curves, both for the fan blades and the pies. On the top side of the fabric you sew rickrack along your 1/4" seam allowance, I chose basic white. The rickrack is already bias and so you use it to help turn the curves. Then you stitch it down to the foundation block, first the fan blades, and then the pie piece. The rickrack will then add a textural element. Clear as mud, eh? LOL here's link to a video by Eleanor, the rickrack part starts around 18 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktzb2wMMwzc

So here's two very different quilts using the same template and fan technique. The turkey quilt will be for me when finished. The Michigan quilt was for my husband's aunt who is a big Blue/Wolverines fan (fan quilt for a fan)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey Fan.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	646370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey Close Up.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	990.4 KB
ID:	646371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aunt Debbie Done.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	646372  
Old 11-19-2023, 07:07 AM

OH I love both of your quilts!! thanks for the link too. If I can find the gumption to sew one, i hope to make one myself soon. The fabrics are just waiting on me!
Old 11-19-2023, 07:50 AM

Years ago I made my first Grandmother's Fan the traditional way with set-in arcs. It was ok and within my skill set but using the Eleanor Burns method took hours and a bunch of stress off of me. In terms of technique for the traditional one I set in the arcs into an L piece, putting the pie into the fan blades first.

The Eleanor Burns method is more the "partial" applique and I cut squares for the background. But then I went back and trimmed out the double layer of fabric once the fan pieces were put in. You don't have to do that but it is an option. It was really not hard at all, maybe not something I would suggest for a beginner but with medium skills and templates it is certainly doable.

Here's a link for the template:
https://www.flynnquilt.com/shop/Acry...-x18848031.htm
I was very happy with the templates, especially cutting so many different fan blades. The Turkey project were charms -- that is each one was different. The Michigan one had multiples. The template kit is designed for set-in arcs and contains the L, the Fan Blade and the pie piece.

And here's pictures of the rickrack in progress. I found buying rounds at Hobby Lobby to be the best deal -- especially on sale!

Name:	100_6103(1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	646373   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6123.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	769.7 KB
ID:	646374   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6126.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	605.3 KB
ID:	646375  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-19-2023 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added info about templates
Old 11-19-2023, 03:14 PM

The tricky part is sewing the curves. I recently saw a u-tube video using tiny dots of Elmers glue, used within the 1/4" seam, then ironed dry instead of pinning. It looked easy. pieces secured no pins in the way.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I found one with the different sizes (10/8/6) on Amazon, called Crazy Fan Templates, but the third party has not so good ratings. So, definitely a no there for me. I don't want to chance it.
Amazon guarantees your purchases. They handle the credit card information. You really don't have much to lose.
bkay
Old 11-25-2023, 06:03 PM

It has taken me forever to find this on photo on the web. It was in a Tide commercial. I would love to make something with this much background space. i can't seem to get my head around this block.
bkay

Name:	Tide commercial.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	646424  
Old 11-25-2023, 07:37 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Omnigrid makes a wedge ruler. Has lines for 9,10,18,22.5,36 and 45 degree angles. When I decided to do a Dresden style quilt I was thrilled to find this ruler. It is 6x24” and so much less expensive than buying a bunch of different fans.
I have only made one Grandmother’s fan quilt way back when Bethany Renolds(?sp) came out with the original Stack-n-whack book. I made the fans and appliquéd them to a block. Pretty heavy quilt but so much fun. I used a decorative stitch (Greek key) to stitch them down, it was the first for me quilt that I made.
Old 11-25-2023, 07:38 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Sorry I don’t know how to edit. That Omnigrid ruler is called Omniangle.