Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I'm good at / what I'm bad at >

What I'm good at / what I'm bad at

What I'm good at / what I'm bad at

Old 12-05-2023, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I am really good at starting new projects.
I am really bad at finishing old projects.
Squirrel!! 🤣
I'm with you, Peggi! That was my problem when I was doing counted cross stitch, too. I guess finishing is not my strong suit. I have an alphabet sampler I started for my daughter when she was 2 that isn't done, and she is 48 years old.

Leslie

Last edited by audsgirl; 12-05-2023 at 10:22 PM. Reason: misspelled name
Old 12-06-2023, 05:05 AM

Is that why I lose my thread when I first start sewing? I have never heard that before. Good to know!
Old 12-06-2023, 12:43 PM

What I'm good at is selecting coordinated fabric. What I'm bad at is cleaning up after myself. I sort of have gobs of fabric scattered all around the room and on the floor...which may just sit there forever...
Old 12-06-2023, 04:07 PM

I’ve been a garment sewer for more than 30 years, and have shifted my focus to piecing and quilting over the last 5 years.

I still learn something new every single project.

I still feel like a beginner.

Theres always a fabric that could’ve been better chosen, a cut that could’ve been more accurate, a seam that could’ve been straighter, a point that could’ve been sharper and so on.

Wonder if I’ll ever feel competent at this.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:18 PM

I am good at being fearless. It comes from my mother who frequently said "Eh, I've failed before and lived to tell". She tried all kinds of things (some she actually succeeded at-and I had a great childhood because of it) I decided I wanted to make a quilt and I've never taken a home ec class, never been in 4H, couldn't sew a straight line and learned to sew by reading the owners manual for my $100 Kenmore sewing machine. Six years later, things have definitely changed. I'm still diving into projects that are over my head,

I'm bad at being precise. My cutting, my piecing, my free motion quilting. my basting, my binding. All of it-bad. (heavy sigh). I can finish a quilt that is acceptable. I usually awe my recipients with such beautiful fabric that they overlook all my shortcomings. I tell people I make quilts with love, not accuracy. Love it, use it, wear it out. Maybe someday, I'll be good at this and make something i can brag about. Until then, we'll just enjoy the process!
Old 12-11-2023, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Am Really bad at staying in contact with people I care about, I hate talking on the phone, I just freeze up.
Nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem!

I'm good at figuring out what to quilt on a top (although often I spend hours in this design phase!)

Not so good at truly accurate piecing.