Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey Long Arm Quilting Machine -  anyone??? >

Bailey Long Arm Quilting Machine - anyone???

Bailey Long Arm Quilting Machine - anyone???

Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM

I'm considering purchasing a Bailey 15" or 17" machine now that they also offer a stitch regulator. I've only come across one quilter who had a Bailey, so I'm seeking others' opinions. So, does anyone have a Bailey, know someone who does or did, or know of anyone's experiences with that brand? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Calico92402
I'm considering purchasing a Bailey 15" or 17" machine now that they also offer a stitch regulator. I've only come across one quilter who had a Bailey, so I'm seeking others' opinions. So, does anyone have a Bailey, know someone who does or did, or know of anyone's experiences with that brand? Thanks for any input.
I'll follow along as this is also one I'm considering. :D So far the only thing I've gleamed from different people is the service is excellent.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM

I too will follow along. Bailey's is very close by. I didn't know they had come up with a stitch regulator! Perhaps I will see them demonstrating at a show this year.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Join the homequiltingsystems group at http://groups.yahoo.com . It is a very active group and quite a few people there have Bailey's and would probably be willing to comment on them.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 PM

I have owned and used a Bailey 13" home quilting machine for just over 2 years. I am very satisfied with it.

Any questions - send me a PM please.

June
Old 02-21-2010, 07:06 PM

I have had a Bailey for a few months. I bought it used and have finished 4 quilts on it. I had very few problems learning to use it. The Yahoo groop is a great place for information:)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM

I have a Bailey 15 on a Gracie II. It's a very basic machine and I had to get used to it but for the cost it is a great machine. There is a group called baileymachines on yahoo that is helpful. The only problem I have with the group is some of the older(not age) members get frustrated with the same questions being asked, one time I asked a question and I was told to go search for it. Yes customer service is great. We purchased the stitch regulator about a year after we bought ours (it wasn't available at the time). We couldn't get it to work after fiddling with it for a time. Chuck sent us a brand new one and paid for having the defective sent back to him. I will say there is a lady on the Bailey group called Pat and she is full of knowledge on the Bailey. I don't regret our purchase.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM

I have the 15" and like it a lot, to be clear, it's NOT a stitch regulator like most people think of, it's a speed regulator, you sent the spped you want and push the button and it sews at that constant speed. A stitch regulator changes spped as you move the head at different speeds, if you stop moving it stops stitching, Bailey's does not, it keeps stitching till you hit the button. you still have the option of usuing the foot controller, the carriage has a hand lever but my hand would cramp in no time, oh let me backup, the carriage comes with the frame NOT the machine. I haven't spent enough time practicing freehand stuff, but I love pantographs and can do those pretty darn good! When finances permit I will be upgrading to something with more bells and whistles but for a learner the Bailey is great.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

kathy -- Bailey's sells a "stitch regulator" (or so they call it on their site) -- is that what you are referring to?

I have a 15" Bailey that I use on a Little Gracie II frame. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it; the throat is plenty big enough for what I want to do. It's definitely a no-frills kind of machine, and when first using it, there is a lot of frustration. I also am not particularly happy with the stitch regulator, as it doesn't seem to "regulate" stitches very well. My first machine was a Juki with a Grace stitch regulator, and it regulated stitches perfectly -- it slowed down and speeded up as you did; the Bailey stitch regulator doesn't really do that very well, IMHO. But really, you can't beat the price for the Bailey, and generally, I'm pretty happy with it. I will definitely upgrade to something with more options and a better stitch regulator in a few years, though.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jdavis
I too will follow along. Bailey's is very close by. I didn't know they had come up with a stitch regulator! Perhaps I will see them demonstrating at a show this year.
I'll follow along too.