Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bad stitches >

bad stitches

bad stitches

Old 12-08-2023, 10:45 PM

Check for lint. Take the bobbin out and run a pin underneath that flexible arm on the bobbin case - I can't tell you how many times I've done that and cleaned out a little patch of lint, and then my tension is perfect.

When was the last time you used this machine with no issues? What changed between now and then?
Old 12-09-2023, 06:28 AM

Last time something like that happened to me (this past summer) it was a tiny bit of thread/lint in my bobbin case. Couldn't actually see it and it was driving me crazy, but I took a pin along the slit in the case and finally found it. I had done all the other things (rethreading top and bottom, new needle, etc) multiple times.
Old 12-09-2023, 07:00 AM

Where are the loose stitches - top or bottom - or are they equally loose? Generally if it is the top of the stitch the problem is usually the bobbin and if it is the bottom of the stitch then usually the top thread/path is the cause. Also what thread are you using? have you double checked what the recommended needle size for that thread is? When I am having an issue like this - these are the steps I would take next,

You said you changed out the the shuttle? I am assuming that you mean the actual bobbin - Have you dropped the case? If so have you checked the bobbin tension? When the bobbin is in the case and sitting on your palm if you pull up on the thread the case should rise gently and either sit upright in your palm or even rise slightly off your palm and drop back down There also may be lint or even thread under the tension spring

The next place I would check is the tension disks in the upper path. Do you feel tension on the thread at the needle once it is threaded? Often lint can accumulate in those disks (esp if you are using cotton threads). Lastly, while I do not have this machine - I did google your machine and one comment popped out at me saying that you needed to make sure the needle was up when threading it.

Best of luck - hope you find the cause quickly
Old 12-10-2023, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Do your tensions need adjusting?
Hi,
Thank you for responding. I have checked, adjusted tensions, on top and the bobbin. Watched videos followed suggestions. Still having loopy stitches.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:34 PM

Hi,
Thank you for responding, I have checked the bobbin (did the test/palm/pull/etc.) It is ok. I'll check the spring for lint, even though I have already checked the tension, I 'll check again. I'm using cotton thread, and have tried polyester thread and get the same thing. Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try them, I have two quilts to get done by Christmas, not sure that is going to happen. I hope it does. Thank you again.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:37 PM

I've used this machine every week, a few days at a time. But on this quilt it has gone nuts. Not sure what has changed.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:53 PM

Thank you to all of you that have taken your time to respond. I will follow your suggestions and see if one or more of them will work. Thank you again.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=Jbennett975;8627544]I've used this machine every week, a few days at a time. But on this quilt it has gone nuts. Not sure what has changed.[/QUOTE

What happens if you put a different quilt on it?
Old 12-12-2023, 06:13 PM

There are videos on how to see if your machine has a timing problem. This is one I found helpful: https://youtu.be/ZsebAKZxmU0?si=Anm9Agze55cE6IM5
If it’s timing, you’ll probably need to get it professionally fixed.

You can also check the throat plate for burrs of metal that are catching the thread and causing loops. That was a problem with mine recently. The bobbin case could also get burrs. If you find any, they can be sanded off gently with 500 grit wet/dry sandpaper.