Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backing Question >

Quilt Backing Question

Quilt Backing Question

Old 12-11-2023, 08:27 AM

Default Quilt Backing Question

I made my DIL a purple and yellow Jacob's Ladder quilt. She picked the colors. The yellow is pretty bright. Any suggestions on what color I could put on the back?
Old 12-11-2023, 08:33 AM

Not sure how long the sale will last (sometimes they are just a day) but equilter currently has a sale on their backs... here's a link to the purple page
https://www.equilter.com/category/19...purple-+-mauve
Old 12-11-2023, 09:41 AM

Thank you for the link. So you think purple is the way to go? You don't think it would be too much purple?
Old 12-11-2023, 10:00 AM

I think I'd rather have too much purple than too much bright yellow
Old 12-11-2023, 11:12 AM

I think that I'd like a floral of some type with both colors. The quilting would show up better on the plain, but I just prefer a print on the back. Just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:31 PM
Gay

I do love softer purples, dark ones in small doses, and if it were mine, I would look for a floral of softer purples (with lemon) on a white/off-white background. That way the quilt could be reversed on the bed for a change.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:21 PM

How saturated are your fabrics? Are they solids? Are they prints with a lot of white in them? That makes a big difference.

If they’re solids and trying to outshout each other, maybe you could use a white background with a fine pinstripe in the purple, assuming you can find it, or maybe a fine stripe in a navy to cool it off a bit. Without being able to see it, it’s hard.

The important part, to me, is to imagine the backing and the front showing at the same time and whether or not that will look ok, since realistically, things will get flipped around as the quilt is used.

hugs,
charlotte

Old 12-11-2023, 04:39 PM

The purple is rather dark and the yellow is bright. They are both prints. I'm just afraid if I go with a purple it will clash with the front. Do you think a cream color print would work? Maybe tone down the front a little?
Old 12-11-2023, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by KathyE View Post
The purple is rather dark and the yellow is bright. They are both prints. I'm just afraid if I go with a purple it will clash with the front. Do you think a cream color print would work? Maybe tone down the front a little?
Kathy, I don’t know how to do this, myself, but others post pictures, and a shot of your fabrics would really help.

Do the fabrics have cream or white in them? Your suggesting cream for the back leads me to think so. That might be a good solution. Many quilts have been made with plain muslin on the back.

Another factor is whether or not you have a shop where you can actually see the fabric. Creams can have green, pink, or tan undertones that might be terrible with bright yellow. (this is where online shopping can fall apart and probably why so many precuts are sold. Tone can really matter. If nothing else, you can always order some minimal amount of something just to see.)

trying to help and probably not succeeding,
charlotte

Old 12-12-2023, 03:10 PM

Lots of things to think about. Sorry I don't know how to post a picture. I know that would be helpful.