Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This quilt needs borders >

This quilt needs borders

This quilt needs borders

Old 12-26-2023, 08:11 AM

I agree with Snooze, use your scraps and do a piano key, or just blocks that are the same size or double size of the inner blocks. Don't demean all your effort by slapping a couple of strips on it
Old 12-26-2023, 09:12 AM

This is just my input. I would widen it and even more background at top and bottom too with the neural background you’re using until I got it almost the completed size. Then put my color borders. My thinking it needs more background so it floats, then one of your pretty colors for a border. I would figure all the borders, top, bottom, sides, however size width you want bit all the same width and then fill in between with background. Just my 2 cents worth.-lol
Old 12-26-2023, 12:08 PM

I didn't make myself clear. I want to add more background and bind it. How much more background? Will 4" on sides be enough? And just 2" top and bottom because it is so long already? Not planning on hanging it, just using it. If it were smaller, I would use leftovers. Perhaps in the binding. Thanks for that idea.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
After looking at the photo again, I believe I would use one of the light colors to make an "inner" border to sort of "end" the the animal's nose and other parts. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that using a darker border will look like his nose is against a wall. I would "try out" a beige (or other light color) as an inner border (even 1 inch finished) and one of the blues as an outer border.

bkay
I agree. I would put a border of the background fabric or similar and then put another border after that to frame the seahorse. You did a wonderful job on him.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I didn't make myself clear. I want to add more background and bind it. How much more background? Will 4" on sides be enough? And just 2" top and bottom because it is so long already? Not planning on hanging it, just using it. If it were smaller, I would use leftovers. Perhaps in the binding. Thanks for that idea.
I agree that adding more background is the way to go rather than borders with colour. I think your suggested dimensions though, would still leave it much longer than it is wide. Don’t know if it will be wide enough to use. Maybe 6 inches on each side? Or 8 inches on one side and 4 on the other? Could be quite interesting not centered. And yes, no need for more that 2 inches on top and bottom.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Another one here, voting for added background sand all the way around, equal amounts on all four sides.

There's enough happening in the seahorse design that I would keep the final border simple with one colour. Probably the darker blue you have used. Then a flange binding using the same fabric for the wider part, with the flange in the turquoise.

What size is your flimsy now?

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-26-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:49 AM

I added 6" on sides and 3" top and bottom. Much better. DD noticed that it is the same size as dining table...maybe that is where it will end up. Undecided about binding. One solid color or all leftovers. I think she is colorful enough, and I should go solid. I have time to decide because I need to mark the lines for quilting before sandwiching. I found that I like the loopy meander on the main event for these pixel quilts, not sure for background.