Help Identifying Please

Old 03-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
Very rarely are these machines dated.
Thank you, Maria. That is what I thought.

Leon, , but is nice to have confirmation from someone like Maria who is much more knowledgeable.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:55 PM

PepperK. welcome. That is a 66-1 that came out in 1902 and after. The serial number on Singers will give a better idea of age. Serial numbers can sometimes be hard to read. My guess would be that it begins with "G" and then some numbers. The decals are what Singer official called "Scroll (Red)." From my understanding Singer salesmen would call it "Red Head," but it is commonly referred to as "Red Eye."

The cabinet is a what is called a Parlor Cabinet or a Drawing Room Cabinet. There were a few different styles of parlor cabinets.
http://needlebar.org/main/singercabs/treadles.html
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach..._cabinets.html
http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/tables/

Also the 66-1 has what is called a back clamp presser foot.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Found this at Sewalot http://www.sewalot.com/frister_rossmann.htm
think it is a fritter & rossman, maybe
Old 01-09-2024, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb View Post
I’m hoping someone on here can help me identify my new to me sewing machine as there are no identifying marks on it at all. It has beautiful mother of pearl inlay.Attachment 590281
Do you still have this machine? I have one that I am working on for Howick Historical Village (HHV) here in New Zealand that looks to be the twin sister to your one. (I call it "mine" while I'm working on it - but it belongs to them and they've asked me if I can get it going for them and clean it up as they want to use it for demonstrations.) Certainly yours is the very closest of any of the many pictures I've now looked at of old German machines generally and Hengstenbergs in particular.

There are a couple of parts on it that don't work quite as they should - the main one at the moment being the knurled thumbscrew for the stitch length adjuster - it only screws in a few turns and then, whether due to being the wrong size or some munted threads, simply won't go any further and I daren't force it. (I know that never ends well!)

So I'm going to look for a replacement but to be sure I get the right thing wondered, if you still have the machine at all, I could trouble you to take close-up, clearer picture of yours please (perhaps removed from the machine and alongside the ruler for scale).

I'm also interested to know if your bobbin winder has "auto-release" when the bobbin is full. Nothing seems to be missing on mine. (I've taken it off the machine to give it a good clean, but have not disassembled it as I'm a bit nervous to try.) Mine doesn't auto-release when the bobbin is full but if yours doesn't either maybe they are not supposed to.

To take a look at the one I'm working on there is a bunch of pictures I'm taking as I go along here (not including the ones for the Singer puzzle box - that was something else I worked on last year too):
[links to remote file/photo storage are not allowed. please post photos directly to your QB post(s)]

Mine has the hole at the bottom right corner of the nose of the machine (around the corner from the tension disc, towards the seamster) just like yours, but it has nothing in it like yours has. Do you know if this is just for use with attachments? Of course I'm very interested to learn about anything else you've discovered about that machine since you got it. Mine came with no attachments, no manual, no lid and not working at all so it's been a bit of a journey so far learning about her.

Thanks so much... Megan
p.s. Did you get the shuttle lift working on yours? By cleaning from under the bed very thoroughly, as well as from above, everything I could reach I got mine to work. The handwheel has to come forward as you open the left-slide plate and, when the shuttle is all the way over to the left, you pull the slide plate out a bit more to the left and the shuttle pops up. It's ingenious - the cleaner and more oiled I got it, and the more I gently pulled on the slide plate, the freer and easier it got and the higher it popped up the shuttle. Now it works like a charm.

Last edited by patricej; 01-09-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:04 PM

Default See if I can get this image thing right

Thank you, patricej, for editing my last message. I tried a minute ago to add a couple of pictures by downloading them as attachments but it all went to custard. I'll try again (as I recall, every time I try to do this I have problems - put it down to creeping senility as my only other excuse is stupidity...) Okay, here we go...

It said it uploaded, gave me no other choices but to close that window, 2 x JPG attachments, each well under 5MB, let's see what I happened when I submit reply. Before I tried to preview the post and that's when I seemed to lose the whole "Reply" attempt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hengstenberg bobbin winder.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	647017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle lifted by pulling slide plate to the left.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	647018  
Old 01-10-2024, 07:21 PM

Yay - that seemed to work. So this might be a helpful pic too, to put the other two in context:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hengstenberg before cleaning, smaller file.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	647019  
Old 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM

You don't seem to have attracted the information you need. Try VSS.com. You might be able to get some information there.

bk
Old 01-11-2024, 11:29 AM

Thank you - I don't think I've heard of them. Edited to add. Ah - I just went there and actually I do know it, I just know it as victoriansweatshop so thought you were referring to a different place. I've asked there too and they've given me lots of help but this was something they're not 100% sure of as there were so many different German machines and winders and improvements and so on that they did. I was hoping someone who has what appears to be the very same model might be able to enlighten me a bit more.

Last edited by MeganMills; 01-11-2024 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:31 AM

I don't think that person post on QB anymore. You might try to "private message" them.

bkay