Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Old 01-12-2024, 02:35 PM

img_20240112_172429275.jpg
I got the rest of the pillow fronts stencilled. I have a make shift line in the basement to hang them on. Got a cat in the house and I will no take a chance leaving the wet paint laying flat to dry. 😻 Tomorrow I will trim and cut the backing and hopefully get some sewn.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:00 PM

Good freezing cold Friday to everyone. Yes, I would love an extra Super Bowl Sunday weekend VQW ( I know you said one day).
Thank you Heather for hosting these VQWs. I greatly appreciate them.

well yes, I’m in. I’m still working on quilting the r/w/blk top. I have made progress from last month. It’s ready to be quilted. I just need to wash the backing fabric and quilt on Monday. I also need to cut out the batting. I had bought a red fabric for the backing, but it was so stiff after I washed the fabric, so I bought flannel fabric and do need to wash this fabric due to shrinkage. The I will use black fabric to bind. So I plan to quilt on Saturday and Sunday. It’s a king size top. 95L by 118” W. In the mean time I will be watching chiefs and the other team on Saturday and 3 games on Sunday. It’s the wildcard to super ball playoffs. 1st weekend of this. Our weather may help us win this game. Game time temp 0 to -8F. And very windy. It’s an outdoor stadium. I also plan to sew 2 king size chiefs pillowcases (one for us and 1 for my niece so. And cut out a few more quilting projects. I find if I cut out the pieces for the top I can sew faster. Oh well on to sewing/quilting. Try to stay warm everyone.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:20 PM

Its been quite rainy and cold here today too but we're not having a blizzard thank goodness. For those of you in the path of these storms, I hope the power stays on and you stay safe.

copycat--good luck on sewing curves. I still struggle with that but it may be my lack of patience!

sschick--would love to see your teddy bears when done.

pamelor, JaniceMcC, michelem--welcome, we are glad to have you join us. And welcome to any other newcomers I may have missed

DoBeeDoQuilts--I hope you have a wonderful time on your retreat.

I got hanging sleeves stitched down on three wall hangings today, hope to get one more done tonight. Spent much of the afternoon on the phone with my mom, we're tentatively planning to head west to Yellowstone in June so we were discussing routes, where to stay, what to see.

Will check back in tomorrow ,
Old 01-12-2024, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Happy VQW weekend everyone! Thank you Raggiemom for hosting.

Have you ever had a quilt pattern you hesitate to start because it's out of your comfort zone? I am cutting out paper templates that I have to tape together to get the whole shape, being careful to match the lines in between the pieces. Next, I have to trace the pieced paper template shape onto cardstock. Plastic template sheets aren't large enough to use for these large shapes. I thought about freezer paper vs. cardstock. I am making a rainbow quilt for my soon to be granddaughter. I will trace the Rainbow Arc templates onto fabric and cut them out. I will be sewing curves, so wish me luck.
Just heard something interesting about “comfort zone”. Term refers to temp that is neither hot nor cold, or “luck”. For food that could be boring. For enthusiasm could be boring. Maybe getting out of comfort zone could be challenging and exciting.

If you don’t like Bible, please skip this. Rev 3:10 says “because you are lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth.”

So, a little challenge might be good. Just not scalding hot.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
I also have music for a string concert to practice. I play cello in a community orchestra so that also takes up time.

Shari
oooh, wish I could still play instrument. It might be soothing, challenging, etc.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:07 PM

SOOOO ready for this.

just picked up from longarm, trimmed and ready to bind. Took 3 to her. Including Merry Mayhem.

when binding finished will work on Bonny Hunter.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:10 PM

img_0242.jpegmerry Mayhem
img_0238.jpegscrap quilt
img_0236.jpegready to bind
Old 01-12-2024, 08:47 PM

Just checking in before bed, DH is still playing music at a friends but I have run out of steam for sewing. I got the room divider almost finished, just have to put some binding on the long edges. But for the night since the low tonight is 5 degrees I put it up to help keep the house warmer. I will post a picture tomorrow after guests leave.

Petthefabric and thimblebug - Love the pictures!
aashley333 - can't wait until the seahorse is finished.
Shari I would also love to see the bear when you are done.
Goodnight and happy sewing.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:29 AM

Good morning, all!
Your projects are so industrious! Love the scrap quilt! And a mink bear! How cool.
Well, yesterday, the temp was in the 60s, and the wind blew 50 mph! I was so sure we were going to lose electricity. We did not, but now we are preparing for the hard freeze on Monday and Tuesday. We are tropical and aren't used to cold. And my Cowboys are going to have to play in colder temperatures!
I plan to finish, yes, finish, quilting this huge seahorse quilt!! After that, I am going to sandwich my temperature quilt, which is already marked for quilting-while I decide how to bind it. I am loving my new longarm!

Last edited by aashley333; 01-13-2024 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:11 AM

Good chilly morning from WNC. I'm enjoying seeing and hearing about your projects. Last night I made great progress on my crumb blocks. Whipped out 20 centers in no time to add to some others I made months ago but didn’t touch my little quilt that needs the binding finished. Pics are attached. Have a fine, quilty day!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5040.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	730.9 KB
ID:	647048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5041.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	647049