Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Old 01-13-2024, 07:35 AM

I have been making process on my checkerboard/rainbow quilt. All blocks done and have begun adding sashing. Pictures tomorrow but not outside. It is 17 degrees and temps dropping. Not like the Dakotas but still pretty cold and getting colder. I will be hiding out in my sewing room where it is warm and close to the electric tea kettle.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:37 AM

Nice to see some new names as well as the VQW regulars

It is cold here, tonight it is expected to be below zero. Is all very interesting to us as this is our first year here. We do have about 6" of snow total.

I have my Bonnie Hunter blocks done and the floor of the empty bedroom swept and cleared off, will be laying out the top today. I safety pin little Row/Column (A1, etc) markers in the upper left hand corner of each block because no matter how careful I am, I drop the stack or the pets mess it up or something happens. It is a large quilt and even without borders the blocks don't fit on my queen sized bed.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:16 AM

aashley333--glad you didn't lose electricity!

Janice McC--pretty blocks!

WMUTeach--we're feeling like 5 degrees here. Brrr!

I finished sewing down the hanging sleeves. I'm headed to my sewing room to FMQ two St Patricks' Day wall hangings and then stitch those sleeves. I made a potato salad this morning to go with the chicken roasting in the crock pot. Not sure why I made a cold salad when it's so cold outside but it's what sounded good and used up the rest of the eggs and potatoes. I'm thinking about throwing an apple cobbler in the oven for supper too. We'll see how much I get done in sewing room first
Old 01-13-2024, 08:49 AM

Thank you for the welcome! My second attempt at baby quilt is going much better. I picked fewer colors and not ALL bright so it's not so clashy. If I can get it done, it will be on to some kind of chair covering for my dad's recliner. It's about 20 degrees in Seattle which is normal for many of you but freezing for us! I kind of like it -- it's a nice change from rain.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:13 AM

Janice McC – such pretties!

Petthefabric – great quilts! Perfect border for the Merry Mayhem.

We got 10 inches of wet, heavy snow. Our power went out last night is and is still out. Got to love the whole house generators. This township is notorious for power outages but this time there are a lot of outages in the area. Tree fell on neighbor’s house just a bit ago.

This project, three quilts of valor, is the first time I have cut everything before starting and am doing each step totally before moving to the next. Finished cutting the last fabric yesterday and marked a lot of squares for flying geese. Going to finish marking the squares and then start sewing.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:24 PM

pamelor--20 degrees is freezing in Seattle I would imagine. I think it's cold here in Cincinnati at 20 although we do get several days in January every year.

Cam's gram--I hope the power comes back on soon for you.

I finished the two St Patrick's Day wall hangings. And I started working on my little gnome hangings. I would have had six completed tonight but the machine decided to throw a temper tantrum and I didn't feel like monkeying with it. So I'll try tomorrow afternoon. Tonight I've turned on a Disney cartoon for background noise and will see where I am in several hand work projects.

So I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon and see what everyone is up to. I'm going to run to Meijer's first thing in the morning and pick up groceries.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:35 PM

I have been beavering away all day and have my weekend project half finished. I just need to add the other three rows of blocks and the sashing to call the top finished. Layering and quilting will most likely come next month.. Another hour or so, and I will step away from the sewing machine for a bit of football or a Netflix movie.

Nothing to do outside except watch snow pile up. Good day to dedicate to using up 2.5s and other scraps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-01-13  Scrappy Rainbow half finished.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	647053  
Old 01-13-2024, 04:02 PM

Finished the 2nd baby quilt, Warm Wishes pattern, even wove in all the quilting tail ends! 😀

raggiemom, how do you roast your chicken in the crockpot?

Name:	IMG_2226.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	647055  
Old 01-13-2024, 04:14 PM

Most of my morning and part of the afternoon were spent running errands so not so much sewing today. But when I did get to sew, my machine decided to act up! So I stopped and put aside all the pieces that need to be ripped and will get to it tomorrow.
Now I'm working on my hexies - hand piecing.

Name:	IMG_1049.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	647056  

Last edited by Sync; 01-13-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:15 PM

I finished the top of the baby quilt and while not perfect it's much better than the previous design. Tomorrow I'll try to make a slipcover for my dad's new recliner.

Name:	baby quilt.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	647057