Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Old 01-14-2024, 02:15 AM

New quilter here, but since I've been working on my project this weekend, I'll join in. I've spent the last couple of days finaliziing the pattern/design and making a cut-list for a table runner and placemat set I'm calling "Salsa". The photo below is the prototype placemat that I just finished this past week. (It's my very first "quilt" and done on a recently revived Wards sewing machine - looks best if you squint...) I'm also including a screenshot of the design (which I created in Inkscape). I started cutting fabric yesterday and hope to have that complete by tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Salsa-pm-proto-top.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	647064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salsa-Table-set.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	647065  
Old 01-14-2024, 05:32 AM

WMU - great use of you squares

thimblebugg6000 – cute! cute! cute!

sync – you must have a lot of patience.

pamelor – nice

sloscotty – your plan for the table runner is great

Still don’t have power but the generator is doing a great job as usual. It runs on natural gas, start and stops automatically so we don’t have to do anything. Not going to get much sewing done today. Have laundry, take the tree down in our bedroom, and get ready to have new carpet installed in several rooms tomorrow. Plus, DS#1, DS#2, DGS#1 and DGD are going down to the Lions playoff game (we’ll stay home and watch it on TV). DH and I are taking the rest of the family out to dinner. Tomorrow & Tuesday I should be able to sew while the carpet is being installed.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:22 AM

Woo-hoo! Quilting on seahorse is done and only needs binding! That was a lot of FMQ practice! It is very long. 8-9 feet! I'm guessing dining table covering(DH suggestion) or wall hanging. In the future, distant future, I am thinking I could make a quilt with just the top half of the seahorse...
I sandwiched my temperature quilt last evening and will start quilting it after I take care of Mom this morning. I must really like the fabric for the backing--I bought it twice! Pic to follow.
I think I'll start layering the 8 layers for a kaleidoscope stack/whack when I take a break from FMQing. (It still makes me nervous to FMQ)

Name:	quilted.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	647067   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	647068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2630.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	647069  
Old 01-14-2024, 07:46 AM

Spent yesterday messing around with placement of HSTs for a scrappy. I ran out of pink HSTs to balance the color so I needed to make.more. Fortunately during summer's buying spree I remembered I didn't have very much pink, so I bought 2 yards just to have a balanced stash. So I used a strip of that and was Happy to stay out of the store 😂.

Today some time working on Clue 3 of BHIW. Very tedious. And I discovered a cutting problem.

I am also interested in the roast chicken in crock pot. I've done, but the skin was pale and flabby. I was using the meat for something else so no harm no...fowl.

Ps. The seahorse is fantastic and Sloscotty - didn't need to squint. I think it looks great! Applause!

Last edited by Rff1010; 01-14-2024 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:58 AM

Love seeing everyone’s projects, thanks for sharing! So many fun ideas! I need to look and see what Inkscape is that sloscotty mentioned.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Love seeing everyone’s projects, thanks for sharing! So many fun ideas! I need to look and see what Inkscape is that sloscotty mentioned.
Inkscape is a free (open souce) vector graphics program for Mac or Windows or Linux. I was already familiar with Inkscape (for engraving and embroidery), but the tutorial that showed me how it could be used for simple quilting blocks was here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebVM2KXXogE

I used a couple of features she didn't mention in the video (such as resizing the grids and using "frame" for the binding), but you should be able to get an idea from what she does.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:23 AM

Am enjoying the watching of other people's work as well -- well done all!

I put placement labels on the blocks of my laid out quilts but oof -- old body is not used to doing this on the floor! I'm telling myself that the squatting and bending and all that is good for me even if I can't do it for hours at a time. We are working with minutes at a time (ok, maybe even seconds...). The ceiling height in the basement (aka sewing room) our new house is low so a design wall may not be the answer.

We have a high below zero today! The car we recently bought from my MIL runs on the high alcohol fuel and is dead in the driveway in front of my car (in the garage). Hubby got his truck started but we live on a hill and although the plow and sand trucks went by earlier he isn't sure how well he will be able to go up the hill. We may have to push the MIL car in front of his truck so we can get my car out of the garage. He had planned to meet up with someone today, I'm feeling that it is a good day to stay home
Old 01-14-2024, 10:13 AM

Good afternoon,
Just had brunch (Impossible quiche with some of the leftovers from the sea food boil last night.) All the dishes are finally cleaned up from the get together, we left the big pans for this morning. It's a balmy -5 out and the wind chill is around -25, I don't see us going anywhere today, Will probably start my car which is in a cold garage and let it run for a bit but that's it, Here is the door covering I made to block the room off, I will take it down in a bit to finish the binding and give it a quick wash to get out the markings for the FMQ I practiced on, I have a few projects so will try to spend my day in the sewing room which is full of sunshine!!!
Happy sewing!

Name:	DSCI0581c.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	647070  
Old 01-14-2024, 12:17 PM

img_20240114_144608766.jpgimg_20240114_144656479.jpgimg_20240114_150447122.jpg
A lot got accomplished this weekend. I now have 80 pillows completed, stencilled, trimmed, turned, ironed, and heat set. The first pile is what I finished this weekend, the second is some of the designs, and the third is how I store them. I will fill and close them just prior to delivery in the spring. I do have four more to stencil, but I ran out of white paint. It feels good to have these first two orders completed for spring. I pulled the Christmas fabric, and am now planning out the accent fabrics, then it's onto cutting and making up the kits.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:10 PM

I think it looks great, pamelor!

I've been working on another random sampler from the pieces I have leftover from the everything, everywhere quilt. I only needed a couple blocks and a few fill-ins (yeah, made way too many last time lol).