Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Old 01-14-2024, 05:10 PM

Looks like people have been busy here today!

I put the chicken in the crock pot with enough water to cover bottom of pot and put a tablespoon or two of Emeril's Original Essence seasoning on the chicken. I cooked on high for 2-3 hours then reduced to low for another 1-2 hours. Depends on when I start it and what time I want to eat. If you lay paper towels on top and then put on the lid, it helps brown the chicken some. The chicken was delicious and fell apart when I removed it from the pot. Mom said she's not sure if that's considering "roasting" or not so I apologize if I have misled anyone!

WMUTeach--how much snow do you have?

sloscotty--welcome and thank you for sharing the information on Inkscape.

Cam's gram--glad you have the generator. We had one when we lived in Wapakoneta but we don't have a whole house one here.

aashley333--the seahorse turned out incredible!

I picked up groceries this morning although it was little cool (felt like five below). I bundled up but was still kind of chilly walking across the parking lot . I got my machine working this afternoon and finished nine of my gnome wall hangings. My goal was three so am very happy. I am all set to quilt with some friends at the quilt shop tomorrow. I have several handwork projects packed to take and work on. I won't finish anything tomorrow but will make progress on a couple things hopefully.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:29 PM

Temperature dropped here throughout the day - but some of you...brrrr! We are supposed to be getting snow on Tuesday but right now it's just a lot of winter wind.

I've been working of a UFO and BHIW clue #3. Almost done with the Big Blocks from the UFO...but I could tell I was getting tired and didn't want problems. Now have a total of 6 sets of clue #3. And I see why someone called it "interminable"
Old 01-15-2024, 03:42 AM

I did start quilting the temp quilt, and I was much more relaxed after the hours of FMQ practice with seahorse. As I was straightening up, I came across the project that I had been taking to monthly sew-along. It is my standard kaleidoscope pattern, so I can start and stop the project once pieces are cut. Anyhoo, I stitched the already pinned pieces only to realize it is almost ready for the design wall! I will work on both today. It is 30 degrees here in south Texas! There is talk of rolling blackouts from extra demand!
Old 01-15-2024, 05:04 AM

Love those little crumb blocks! My plans fell apart yesterday when I found a leak in the upstairs bathroom. Fortunately, I found the leak before it was a major problem. We don't use the upstairs bathroom often so it was pure luck. It took the biggest part of the day for hubby to fix the problem and for me to clean up from the aftermath. The rest of my day was back to sorting through the studio. Pulled out a tote filled with MORE quilts to be finished. I am up to 48 - yikes- and think I will stop sorting through the studio just in case there are more hiding. I am hopeful that I can quilt one that I plan to use as a shop class sample today. This is newly made, not one of the tops I found while digging through the studio. LOL
Old 01-15-2024, 05:05 AM

Everyone has put me to shame! However, I've got the last row and a half of quilting well underway and there's just a small long side border yo cross hatch after that so Today's the Day! it's quilted ( I hope!) I did manage to get a lot of binding done and I washed and cut some fabrics for the I Spy swap.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:12 AM

Raggiemom, I don't have an extreme amount of snow, 8 - 10" but I got up this morning to windchill of -23. Day one of extreme cold and it is projected to hover there for the next three days. Later this week its forceasted to get to the teens. Tee-hee-hee! I have friends an hour north of me that have about 30 inches of snow, but they are about 1/2 mile from Lake Michigan, so lots of lake effect snow.

I am going to take advantage of the extra day for the VQW to get my quilt finished. Don't know what happened but I slowed down to a crawl yesterday. Maybe I spend too much time watching the snow blow by!

Enjoying all of the finishes and really significant progress by so many. We are motivated!
Old 01-15-2024, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
Love those little crumb blocks! My plans fell apart yesterday when I found a leak in the upstairs bathroom. Fortunately, I found the leak before it was a major problem. We don't use the upstairs bathroom often so it was pure luck. It took the biggest part of the day for hubby to fix the problem and for me to clean up from the aftermath. The rest of my day was back to sorting through the studio. Pulled out a tote filled with MORE quilts to be finished. I am up to 48 - yikes- and think I will stop sorting through the studio just in case there are more hiding. I am hopeful that I can quilt one that I plan to use as a shop class sample today. This is newly made, not one of the tops I found while digging through the studio. LOL
When I was learning to quilt on my longarm - I would have loved some tops for working on. Perhaps you can offer a FMQ or intro walking foot quilting class and get other to do the work for you?
#tomsawyer
Old 01-15-2024, 06:38 AM

I machine stitched the binding on my queen size teddy bear quilt, so spent a few hours doing some of the hand stitching down. This will probably take a few days, and then I need to go back in to each block and do more detail hand quilting on their clothes etc, as they are large blocks. This hobbs batting says 4” minimum for quilting.

Thanks again everyone for all the pictures and posts, it is very inspiring!
Raggiemom, thanks for the info about the chicken, and sloscotty the info about Inkscape.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2238.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	647093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2237.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	647094  
Old 01-15-2024, 07:47 AM

Good morning from the chilly north not too bad at the moment, woke up the temp was -11 it's up to -7 with a WC of -20. We lucked out and didn't get the snow they were expecting over the weekend, but we did get the cold.I live in MN I should expect some below zero days.
I did get the door covering totally finished, as well as the place mat for a friend yesterday. I was pleasantly pleased working with the washable markers for doing the quilting. I am a newbie at quilting other than overall meander, here are the finished pieces. Since it is going to stay below zero today I plan on sewing and organizing my space and one quick run to mom's to fill her medication boxes. I will grab some milk on the way home. I think I am in the mood to do some crumb blocks for awhile.
Off to sew.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0583c.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	647097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0584c.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	647098  
Old 01-15-2024, 08:14 AM

Dedemac, your quilt looks really cool. Some child is going to love it.