Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Old 01-15-2024, 11:10 AM

thimblebug, that Teddy Bear quilt is adorable.

Well, after a lazy morning, I'll be heading to my sewing/dining room to work on my Jewel Box Stars - right now I have 5 out of 8 rows put together - and I hopefully will be making some more progress on my BH Indigo Way.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:44 PM

Great pix and chat everyone! I sewed more crumb block centers, almost twice as many as I expected to do. They’re like m&m’s. Hard to stop with just a few. Today I’d planned to hand stitch my binding down but DH and I were sidetracked to our granddaughters’ house for some unexpected but pleasant babysitting. Oh, well, I’m putting the binding off for a sunny day when it’s easier for me to work on it. Instead, I’m going to straighten up the sewing room as I made a big mess while making the crumb block centers! Have a nice evening.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:05 PM

Karamarie - I'm confused neither is a regular quilt. The light blue one is a bunch of orphan blocks and is a hanging that just blocks the archway to our parlor which usually drops to 48 degrees in the winter. The one with the HST and is shades of blue and purple is only 18 x12 inches, It's a place mat for a friend of mine. I love doing crumb blocks and miniatures. But thank you for the complement.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:06 PM

Janice - Do you have any preferred way of sewing your crumb blocks?
Old 01-15-2024, 01:27 PM

Aashely333 – love your seahorse

Dedemac - nice door covering

Quiltah Mama – great pillows, very productive this weekend

Thimblebug6000 – love the teddy bear quilt

Picture doesn’t show much but everything is cut, all the blocks for the flying geese are marked and I got the red and white ones made. Will trim them tonight while I watch TV.

Family had a great time at the Lions game (they won!) and dinner. It was windy driving yesterday but no snow is flying around. It is all frozen in place. The trees are still covered with snow from the storm Friday-Saturday. It was a wet heavy snow and it’s ice underneath. Chill factor warnings are out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20240115_154903.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	647100  

Last edited by Cam's gram; 01-15-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I'm getting in late on this... been mostly lurking. I love all the pictures of all the pretty quilts and pillows!

Janice, I feel the same way about crumb blocks. Can't stop once you get started. They are so cool.

Today I'll be sewing 9 patches of my neutral 2.5" squares. I'm trying to use them up. Each will have a colored square in the center. I've never done a quilt that way.

We have 30 degrees here but it's supposed to drop to 15 overnight. I'll open all the water taps to drip. The weather app on my phone now says we have a 75% chance of snow today, but it looks like it will be after dark. If it snows here in Mississippi, it won't start to melt til Wednesday. Hope you all stay safe and warm.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:21 PM

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one freezing! Had an enjoyable time quilting with friends today. Did some hand embroidery. See you all next month!
Old 01-15-2024, 04:32 PM

img_20240115_082432966.jpgimg_20240115_082032219.jpgimg_20240115_080149181.jpgimg_20240115_185523344.jpg
First of all, wow, amazed at the pictures and the progress everyone made this weekend. Aashley 333, love the seahorse, and your FMQ design is perfect, it makes me think of how a seahorse swims with it's tail through the water.
I did get the pillowcase kits cut up, 20 total.
I also got a quilt as you go couch cushion flimsy done. I've been thinking about a couch cover just for my seat cushions, arm ends, and a little bit up the back. I had a northcott precut packet of 10" squares. I just got to trim and bind, then it will hopefully keep some of the cat hair off the couch, and I can wash it, that's the best part. DH and I inherited my DFIL Siamese cat. We love the cat, and absolutely enjoy him, but his favorite hang out spot is the couch. I knew I just had to come up with some sort of a cushion cover that I can toss in the washer.
Thank you for hosting Raggiemom, happy quilting to everyone, stay warm, and see everyone next month.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:04 PM

Well, I did get my pieces cut for the Salsa table set this weekend. (Since I'm retired, the weekend continues...). I will start putting the pieces together tomorrow. I'll report back at the next VQW.

BTW, I call this set "Salsa" because whenever we have tacos or pasta, I always manage to splatter something RED on our placemats. I decided to make a set where we could flip them over and that wouldn't show as much. (The second photo is the back of the prototype - the final photo is the actual fabric I am using in the set.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Salsa-cut1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	795.9 KB
ID:	647108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salsa-pm-proto-bot.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1,007.3 KB
ID:	647109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salsa-cut2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	647110  
Old 01-15-2024, 06:34 PM

It has been a pleasant and quilt productive day. 1) I started a disappearing 9 patch - part of a Project Linus challenge. 2) Worked some more on Clue 3 for BHIW - thank you whomever suggested using as leaders and enders. So much more pleasant! 3) Brought a UFO to a break point - currently 48 x 48 and I wanted bigger. So it's going to go into the closet for a bit while I consider options. Sometimes I find things are better when they have a little rest - a planned UFO vacation.

Stay warm my friends! Don't go out if you don't need. Use the stash, tink on a UFO. Bake some bread and cook a chicken in the crockpot. The world can spin without you... unless it can't