Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting Sewing Machine in and Out of Car >

Getting Sewing Machine in and Out of Car

Getting Sewing Machine in and Out of Car

Old 02-24-2024, 08:10 AM

Would it be possible to store a machine where you take your classes?
I have a rolling case for my sewing machine and stack my project bag on top... to take from my apartment to my car to my quilting group. Then I only have to lift to put into my car or the one step from the porch to the sidewalk... which I find manageable. But I'm not above asking for assistance either. I just like to do as much as I possibly can - even with a bad back.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

The rolling cart is nice but the machine would still have to be lifted in and out of the car. A guild member hurt her back helping another member get her very heavy embroidery machine from the car to the set up table. The older member asked for help but I don't think asking someone close to my age to do something I shouldn't is the answer. When I go to retreats I have a Featherweight and I found it's easier to use a tote bag with handle to lift FW in case in and out of car. There are a lot of nice totes made for the FW with perfect size straps to lift. The FW is about 12 lbs. I think the Janome small Jem machine is about that weight.
I looked it up: A convenient attribute of the Jem Gold 660 is that, at only 12 lbs, it is portable and easy to carry to sewing classes!

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-24-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:59 AM

I agree Onebyone. Most of the members of my bees and the store employees are older and I wouldn't want to ask them to do something I can't. I have a couple FW's that I use for classes. If I really need a zig zag machine, I could take my 503, but normally all I need it straight stitch so the FW is fine. My sewing room is upstairs so usually the FW lives in the Tutto bag downstairs. When I have to take one of the larger machines in for service I have my husband bring it downstairs for me.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:35 AM

If it’s a Bernina it is made heavy! Which is great for home but not for classes. I agree with others that say to find a light weight machine.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:08 PM

When I typed Bernina 335 weight in Bing - the answer is 17.6 pounds.

I can't lift hardly anything anymore either. First...take it out of the case. Just that can make it much more awkward to deal with. My suggestion would be to have a rolling trolley that you roll the machine out to load it in your vehicle and put everything in it when you get to the lesson to go in. To load the machine in your car at home - put your passenger seat all the way back giving you the most floor space available. Then try lifting the machine by holding it in the center opening and place it on your floorboard. Pack your other supplies around it to keep it from moving on the way to the lesson. After you get there, pull out the rolling trolley & lift out the Bernina into the trolley, along with all your supplies and roll along into the lesson. I have more strength in my right arm off to one side than trying to lift something in front of me with both arms. You might be the same.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-24-2024 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:08 PM

Oh thank you for all of your help! I am looking at a feather light online right now. It looks like in good shape but possibly smoking?? Do the feather lights have slight smoke coming out of motor?
I also ordered a light 2 lb material bag for the 335 machine and a rolling sewing case to put class supplies in. The wheels can detach from the case. I will put the wheels on the ground, the rolling case on the wheels and the machine on top of the rolling case. I should get that next week. I'll post how it all goes.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-24-2024, 08:54 PM

Possibly smoking as in the motor? Or the owner(s) smoked, so it has a smoky smell?
Old 02-25-2024, 04:18 AM

I put my Machine on my husbands hydraulic lift cart to put in my car, but need help at Senior center to get my machine out. I have suggested they purchase one for the centerl.....the hydraulic lift cart can be purchased at harbor freight., amazon, Jeggs etc,
weight capacity is 300 lbs and up.,price is $184 and up.. Jeggs has one for 184.00, was 238.00 I believe. The cart is too heavy to take to the center. These carts are built to use in machine shops. My husband loves his. Once you place your machine on the cart, you have to use the pump foot pedal to raise the platform, then slide into car. When I get home, i put the machine on the raised platform, then lower it to ground level to transport. Seems like alot of jockeying around, but worth not irritating my nerve in lower back.thankgoodness we have senior gentlemen at the center to take our machines out of our cars and lift them to the tables! It is a pain getting old.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:10 AM

Your machine probably came with its own cover or in a cardboard box. Remember, back before luggage had its own wheels, there was a device to strap your suitcase or other items to it. You might find those again in thrift stores or a friend's attic/basement. Using one of those and the container your machine comes with/in, you can reduce the weight. The hard part on anything of weight (including grocery bags) is the transfer from vehicle to the ground!
Old 02-25-2024, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

When I took classes for my new Bernina they let me use one of theirs instead of me having to lug mine every time. I don't know where your classes are though. Mine were at the Bernina shop where I purchased it.