Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here! >

EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!

EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here!

Old 12-03-2022, 02:21 PM

Same as Peckish….I figured it out on my own and used manual and the website to answer questions.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:29 PM

I also have figured things out as I run into problems. I use EQ8 a few times a month. It has saved me money as I have created many quilts in EQ and then never make them thus saving me, my time, fabric, batting, and thread! Some of my designs do make it as quilts and it helps to estimate yardage and determine color choices. Yes, there are others ways to do this but I enjoy the features in this product.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Having struggled to learn EQ7 for five years before finally figuring out the basics, I figure this could be a good place for people like me to ask questions, get answers, and post user tips. If you have EQ software sitting idle because you are frustrated with it, ask some questions here!

I am thrilled to finally be able to create some quilts in EQ7. What really jump-started me (after 5 years of getting mostly nowhere) was a free video tutorial series by Kari Schell called "Catch the Waves":
https://www.onpointquilter.com/blog/...-quilt-newbies

She also has a blog with short video tutorials in her archives: https://www.onpointquilter.com/ . I found her Irish Chain quilt helpful: https://www.onpointquilter.com/blog/double-irish-chain
Thank you for posting these video links. I have EQ8 and EQ-Stitch. I upgraded from EQ7 recently. I had purchased the books on EQ7 about 2 years ago and I was still learning from these. Now they tell me at their website the EQ7 Books are now basically useless with the newer version EQ8 and I haven't completed the Books yet.... I'm so disappointed as you know, the books are NOT cheap. So thank you these will come in handy....
Old 08-05-2023, 02:58 AM

Is there any way to get EQ8 on a disk instead of having to buy it as a download?
Old 08-05-2023, 09:24 AM

No. Most computers don’t even have disk drives anymore.

Why do you want a disk?

Last edited by Peckish; 08-05-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:24 AM

It looks like even if you "purchase" it and have it shipped all you get is the license number and directions

This is copied from the site ......

New Delivery: Download right away, or have it shipped! The shipped EQ8 retail box contains a software download license. There is NO media device (CD, DVD, USB) included. There is a License ID and License Password found in the package. This information will allow you to download the software from the EQ website. You will select either PC or Mac at the time of the download.

Actually once you purchase it and register it it is easy to install on a computer or even move it to another computer.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:45 AM

This is an older thread but it has a lot of good information. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing EQ8 to get the Dear Jane Add On because I'd like to make the DJ quilt and use FPP. I've been watching a Youtube channel, Canary Quilts, and she's using the EQ8+Add On and doing FPP and applique. Right now, Quilt In A Day has EQ8 on sale for $167.96. The Add On is $49 on EQ's site.

Has anyone used the Add On to make the DJ blocks?
Old 04-13-2024, 02:15 PM
Administrator

the Dear Jane software (with manual) used to be available [also] as a stand-alone program. you didn't have to have any version of EQ.

they have apparently discontinued the stand-alone version. i saw a few for sale on ebay. the prices were "all over the place." it would be a very good idea to contact the seller to make sure you'd be getting the stand-alone version.

i just looked at mine (for the first time in years.) it works with windows 10. i don't know about windows 11, but it think it probably would.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa View Post
This is an older thread but it has a lot of good information. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing EQ8 to get the Dear Jane Add On because I'd like to make the DJ quilt and use FPP. I've been watching a Youtube channel, Canary Quilts, and she's using the EQ8+Add On and doing FPP and applique. Right now, Quilt In A Day has EQ8 on sale for $167.96. The Add On is $49 on EQ's site.

Has anyone used the Add On to make the DJ blocks?
I believe I have the stand-alone version of Dear Jane, which does not need the EQ program. I used it to print the patterns out for hand piecing and applique. I must have purchased it at least 15 years ago. I do have EQ. The last version I purchased is 7.
Edited to add: I wouldn't purchase the whole EQ program just for the Dear Jane blocks. Do you know that the full sized patterns are all in the Dear Jane book, for much, much less money?

Last edited by lindadee; 04-13-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:38 AM

I have the older stand alone version of Dear Jane. If you already own EQ8 (or even 7) I might go the add on route as I am not fond of the stand alone version - mostly because I am so used to where everything is in EQ8. I think that the stand alone version was based on EQ5.

If you do not already own EQ I might aim for the stand alone version (unless you want really want EQ for other projects). I am still running windows 10 and just re-loaded the stand alone version of Dear Jane on my laptop in the sewing room with thoughts of starting a quilt and had no issues with loading it.

I looked on Ebay and Amazon - curious to see if the older version was still available - be very careful - several folks are selling just the manual with no software (the biggest one I saw was on Amazon) - but there are a lot of them on Ebay that do come with the disk.

Good luck and while this is an older thread, some of us who are avid EQ users still subscribe to the thread!!