Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use embroidery floss for quilt as you go...MS QC >

Use embroidery floss for quilt as you go...MS QC

Use embroidery floss for quilt as you go...MS QC

Old 04-12-2024, 05:03 AM

Default Use embroidery floss for quilt as you go...MS QC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCWFH94kvwg

I have the templates to make this block and plan to use lots of dif scraps to make it colorful for PL. Their suggesteion is to use thread to match the fab. That means too many spools of thread. Do you think 2 stands of embaroidery floss would work? What about colors bleeding. Use color catchers?
Old 04-12-2024, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I always test floss for bleeding. Floss is too much a hassle if not using all six strands at once. I use size 8 wt or 12 wt thread on the spool. Crochet size 10 is good. I have never had crochet thread or thread on the spool bleed.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I didn't watch the whole video, but isn't the thread meant to match the background rather than the foreground fabric? So in the quilt behind Jenny you would use mostly white thread, not lots of different colors.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:44 PM

I love the way their quilt looks, but all that folding and finger-pressing would use up too much of the remaining “tread” I have left on my finger joints. There has to be a gentler way to get there.

Thinking of other hexie quilters like Violet Craft, maybe.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-12-2024, 11:31 PM
Gay

Do you mean to hem the backing folded to the front with embroidery thread? I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I've seen several hexie quilts decorated with embroidery floss, blanket stitch etc, and they are beautiful. You could also do a normal quilting stitch, provided you pick up the batting as well. One is on my list, one day.

Last edited by Gay; 04-12-2024 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I made a table runner with the big hexies using the fold over template. I folded once and stitch down with sewing machine. I left a narrow raw edge that soft ragged when washed and it looks great. For wide raw edge I would snip it to rag more. My daughter wanted it. I would sew it this way for a large quilt.