Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many people does it take to load a quilting machine? >

How many people does it take to load a quilting machine?

How many people does it take to load a quilting machine?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM

I have a longarm and I only have the backing attached to the take up and belly bars. I have a velcro leader..I take it off..and on my sewing machine...I do a long running stitch..attaching the backing to the leaders. I then velcro it in place. Then a few inches down..I float the top and batting...basting it with a long running stitch. I use quilt basting spray between the layers. This makes it easy to smooth out..it holds it in place. I use side leaders on all three layers. Check out Sharon Schambers website..she has some great videos about the subject. She has a free pattern for side leaders that are of canvas with a dowl rod that is a lot better (I think) then just clamps. It is hard to go into great detail on here. I did my first quilt on my longarm using all the bars and I thought I would go nuts. I have done 5 king size quilts using Sharon's method and am taking about an hour to mount the quilt. I hope you check her out.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM

I suppose it takes me about an hour/full to queen size.
I pin head to toe take up and belly bar for the backing.
float the batting and top, I baste each seperately onto the backing. Always load by myself.

I re-read the question. Loading a quilting machine would be putting it (the machine) on the frame. So I assume we all figured the question was about loading the frame. There is a difference - and it is technical one. Moving the machine on and off the frame, would be quick job- especially if it is really heavy!

I re-read the question. Loading a quilting machine would be putting it (the machine) on the frame. So I assume we all figured the question was about loading the frame. There is a difference - and it is technical one. Moving the machine on and off the frame, would be quick job- especially if it is really heavy!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM

It doesn't take me very long, maybe 15/20 minutes. The more I load the faster it goes. I started floating my tops after doing my first few quilts, this alone cuts the time in half because you just lay out the batting and top 0n top of the backing which is loaded/pinned to the leaders. I pin these with about 10 pins to the backing. Then sew with the longarm around the edge to secure it. I sew the edges and straighten the top and batting with each advance. I also find I'm using fewer pins (maybe half as many) to attach the backing to the leaders with no difference in results.
Once the quilt is rolled it's not going anywhere!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 PM

I can load a queen quilt in about 1/2 hour, that is if the backing and top are of good quality. I get some real duzzies... I have never had the luxury of anyone helping me. I tried to float but I had trouble with shifting. The only thing that floats is the batting that is sandwiched between the layers. I mostly do pantograph quilts.
Jean
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

I just got a frame and have been asking myself the same question. It is a chore.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:26 AM

Just keep at it. It is like anything you do, the more you do it the easier it gets. I have been doing this since 1992, I never went to the ziiper system or any of those quick methods; because I just want to get one done before I do another, but then I only do pantograph, that goes much faster than a custom quilting project.
Good luck Jean :D
Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

even after years of practice loading seems to take longer than quilting the dog-gone thing...a second person reallly does help, 3 though, you tend to get into each other's way and it takes as long as with one, so, i'm gonna say, it takes 2...:) just remember, it's still lots faster than hand quilting :mrgreen:
Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

even after years of practice loading seems to take longer than quilting the dog-gone thing...a second person reallly does help, 3 though, you tend to get into each other's way and it takes as long as with one, so, i'm gonna say, it takes 2...:) just remember, it's still lots faster than hand quilting :mrgreen: