Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many people does it take to load a quilting machine? >

How many people does it take to load a quilting machine?

How many people does it take to load a quilting machine?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 AM

I agree the loading is the not the funnest part of quilting; yes it is definetly faster than hand quilting, but then I never have hand quilted. I find it hard to find the time to hand sew the binding, I do feel that is a must.
Have a great day
Jean
Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 AM
JJs
Banned

I do mine by myself, doesn't take very long - I attach the backing to the front rail, roll it, then pin to the back rail..
float the batting, then the top, pin the top across the back (the part under the machine throat) and fasten the tensioners and good to go...
Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Carol in Colorado
Seriously!! I loaded a new quilt on my machine last night and it took me almost 2 hours!!! I know I'm new at this, but is this normal? I always have my husband help roll the fabric while I try to keep it straight and tight. Am I doing something wrong?
I think getting the quilt loaded takes longer than the quilting! But I have started only rolling the back and floating the batt and top - have not had any problems - as a matter of fact, I've had less problems than when everything was rolled. plus, it takes less time to prepare! Try it.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 AM

I use both a Jewel and a Viking longarm for charity quilts 2 full days a month. After a little prep work it takes me 5 minutes to load a quilt. The quilt is basted with #6 stitch through all 3 layers at the top, with the backing extending about 2 inches above the stitch line. Then a top and bottom header is sewn to the backing fabric, again using a long running stitch to make it easier to tear them off when finished. Starting from the middle line, the headers are velcroed to the rail leaders and the backing tightened. The other two quilt layers float free below the top stitching. There are two elastic clamps/pulls on each side to help keep some tension on the backing. Between the weight of the hanging layers, my tummy, and my hand I can control how much tension is on the quilt.
None of the quilts wider than 60 inches so I don't know of difficulties relevant to a wider quilt. I haven't had any need to put the batts or the tops on the rollers due to the smaller sizes of the quilts.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 AM

I load my quilts this way as well and float the quilt top. It does take 1-2 hours start to finish depending on the size of the quilt. I never plan on beginning to quilt right after getting it loaded. The most I would do is select and line up the panto so I will be ready to quilt when I come back--usually the next day.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I haven't timed it yet, but I find it a lot quicker, easier, more accurate and more enjoyable than pinning the layers for quilting on my sewing machine.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:11 PM

It takes me 30-45 minutes to load a quilt and be ready to quilt. That is one of the reasons I got a midarm, because I HATED pin-basting; this is so much easier, and comes out so much better! I "float" almost all of my quilt tops, meaning I only roll the back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-8016.jpe
Views:	99
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	8016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-8017.jpe
Views:	102
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	8017  
Old 03-13-2010, 04:46 PM

I think if a preson is using a pantograph it is harder to float the top. I find that there is shifting of the top. Do you seal the sides ad you go? I do not do the tight quilting like you have on yours.
Jean
Old 03-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Can you give us a link to Sharon Schambers videos? I found her website but couldn't find any videos on loading a longarm.

GREAT hints here. I'll be loading a quilt tomorrow....look forward to trying a few of these hints. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I have a longarm and I only have the backing attached to the take up and belly bars. I have a velcro leader..I take it off..and on my sewing machine...I do a long running stitch..attaching the backing to the leaders. I then velcro it in place. Then a few inches down..I float the top and batting...basting it with a long running stitch. I use quilt basting spray between the layers. This makes it easy to smooth out..it holds it in place. I use side leaders on all three layers. Check out Sharon Schambers website..she has some great videos about the subject. She has a free pattern for side leaders that are of canvas with a dowl rod that is a lot better (I think) then just clamps. It is hard to go into great detail on here. I did my first quilt on my longarm using all the bars and I thought I would go nuts. I have done 5 king size quilts using Sharon's method and am taking about an hour to mount the quilt. I hope you check her out.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Baloonatic-
Can you post a picture of your avatar -maybe on a new thread? I am intrigued by it!
:)