Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couple of long arm questions >

Couple of long arm questions

Couple of long arm questions

Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM

I might add that their machines are computerized, whatever that means!!! They seem to have a nice little set up. I'll probably keep an eye on it. Right now I don't even have any tops finished to quilt, so it really isn't an issue! :oops: I was curious. I do live in the metro area, so everything is more expensive. :shock: In my former town, rent on a 2 bedroom apt was expensive at $650/mo, here that would get you a trash house!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 PM

One of our LQS's does teach you how to use her Gammil, for $45 to teach you how, which she is with you the whole time, so you get excellent instruction. Then, you rent the machine for $24.50 an hour. I have done a few on her machine, and I was able to quilt a full size, with the pinning the quilt on the machine and just a basic stipple, and it was just about 1 hr. 15 minutes. It went just smooth. I now own my own longarm, an APQS 2005 with all the extras, and I bought it just for ME. I do NOT quilt for other people, other then charity quilts for Children's hospital in Seattle. Some friends, but very few. My favorite part of this whole thing is the time pinning the quilts on. I actually love that part. Making it straight, smoothing to keep it flat, and then the actual quilting after it is loaded. I got this for an exceptional price from a quilt shop going out of business. They only had it in service for 3 years, but it was a ROUGH 3 years. They rented it out, and did NOT take care of it, so I am now treating this baby with loving kindness to put her back into pristine condition. Do I like what I do??? I absolutely love it and I would never hesitate to tell anyone not to buy a longarm. Get the one you can afford. Then, when you get good at what you are doing, then move up. BUT...buy what you know you will love to use each and every time.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:50 AM

I have a gammill statler and it still takes me almost 2 hrs. to load a king quilt. Unless you are really good at remembering all of the steps, you are going to spend alot of time thinking and that means money. I really think taking the class is a good idea if you plan on buying one. Before taking a class, watch the videos on the Gammill site. They are under the machine section. I still get brain dead when working and pull the laptop out, go to the website, and play it while I am going step by step. They are a wonderful machine and once you get the hang of it will keep you up at night with your brain spinning, trying to figure out how to get your own. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I might add that their machines are computerized, whatever that means!!! They seem to have a nice little set up. I'll probably keep an eye on it. Right now I don't even have any tops finished to quilt, so it really isn't an issue! :oops: I was curious. I do live in the metro area, so everything is more expensive. :shock: In my former town, rent on a 2 bedroom apt was expensive at $650/mo, here that would get you a trash house!

Computerized means that the machine will automatically stitch the quilt designs you pick in the size and shape you want it.

What we do here for an all over design, is to measure the area to be quilted, say border to border, and we put that info into the computer on the machine, then we tell it the height we want it to stitch at (if the design repeat is 15" wide and 10 inches high), we can adjust either size (if it doesn't distort the design, so loops would work, but flowers might not). Then we figure out the number of repeats needed, put that into the computer, position the machine on where to start, take a stitch, pull up the bobbin thread, and let the machine do the stitching without our help. At the end of the row, you tie off, and repeat the procedure for each new row to get an overall design. Blocks and borders are done the same way, but size and number of repeats would differ. That is the simple answer because there are variables, but the computer tells the machine what to stitch, and you don't need to do anything!

After reading all of this thread, it has made me appreciate the price being charged by those who do the quilting for you on the long arms. Between the price of the machines, loading quilts onto the frames, the price of cone thread, bobbins, measuring, setting the design(s), loss of space in their homes, etc., they deserve every penny they make!

Housing costs? A two bedroom where I live is about $1200/month, Boston is 20 miles away at over $2000/month, NO UTILITIES.

Diane
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 AM

One of our LQS's hasa something swimilar. Except they have a daily rate as well, which is nice. I've seen gals rent out the machine for a day and do several quilts for others ... who they then charge. It is a great way to start up a business.

good luck.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Tim if I'd known you had Lizzie at your house I'd have DONE been there! oh yeah, and Patrice!
BTW, she keeps the toe under her pillow, it's a bit rank by now, I don't think you want it back.