Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couple of long arm questions >

Couple of long arm questions

Couple of long arm questions

Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 AM

So there is a new LQS in town and they have two Gammill's that you can rent out by the hour. You need to take their certification first. Makes complete sense so far. I don't know of any other place in this area that does this. I know there are several places you can send/bring your quilts for them to do, but not yourself.

So here are my questions: If anyone has experience with a set up like this, what was the charge for the training? They charge $150 which is a 1:1 training. Rental afterwards is $26.50/hour. Do these prices seem reasonable?

My next question is, about how long does it take you to long arm a quilt? I'm thinking even simple edge to edge panto's. Say for a single quilt. I realize that it takes longer at first than once you get the hang of it. I'm just kinda wondering how much time and money and if it is worth it. I'm actually really intrigued by the idea since I have NO room for a long arm. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 AM

My local Husqvarna Viking dealer has something similar here. He has the QBot for customers to use after taking the training for $120. I'm not sure what the hourly rental free is but I think it is about the same as the price you were quoted.
I'm intrigued by this as well. I just wonder how long it would take me to learn how to do the quilting to my satisfaction. I think I would do a practice piece before attempting a quilt.
If you go ahead and do this, will you please report back to us on your experience. I am very curious to find out if it is easier than you thought.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM

I took a class for long arm training as well and I spent $100 for about 2 1/2 hours of indept training. I don't think the price you were quoted is that unreasonable especially when you think of the knowledge you will gain from the professionals. I am planning to purchase a long arm this year and am so glad I was able to take the class. I say you should go for it if your budget can afford it! Good luck!! :)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

It really really really depends on you as an individual and what you are quilting on the piece to how long it will take you, it is definitely cheaper than sending it out for the same job, some will take longer than others to do the same work, depends on how comfy you are with the machine and loading and all the technical things, you will get the satisfaction of doing the whole quilt and it is a lot easier that trying to put it through your machine at home,

Make sure that you take notes, I would try and watch a video on it first so that you go in knowing some and can focus on what you need to learn rather than spending the whole training time on simple basics.

A simple single with an all over design I can do in about 2 hours, that is loading and everything, as long as you do your planning before hand and not mess around with a lot of decisions you can do simple pantographs in around the same time or a bit longer, to start with it will probably take you longer,
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM

I don't know.....after training, it still takes me 2 hours to load the quilter. Do they include just the time you're quilting or the loading and quilting time together?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 AM

There is a LQS that offers the same thing here, but I haven't checke out their price yet. Like above, they do require a training class, then you can rent it on an hourly basis.

The one question I have is if they let you do any LA quilting right after the training class since it is fresh in your head?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM

there is a LQS that does that here too. I've never taken the training, but the prices sound similar. My question is, if you don't finish it in one day, do you have to take it off and reload it when you come back???
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM

the question about the loading is important. loading takes a while, even when you're familiar with it. it would be easy for a beginner to use up 1.5 hours loading a double each time you used it. add that to your quilting time and it's not that cheap to do your own anymore. if it takes you about 2 hours to quilt it and almost 2 hours to load it, it costs over $100 all together for a double. a twin isn't that much less. a queen is a lot more effort and time somehow. if you want to do it to save money, i don't know. if you want to do it with an eye to having fun and maybe buying one in the future, then go for it. of course, that fist time expense is in the there, also. so that first quilt will be pricey.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM

I WISH there was one near me, I would love it. I "heard" that rentals usually use zippers, you sign up for your time slot and take the zippers home with you, pin onto your top and backing at your leisure then when you get to the shop you just zip it on and you're ready to quilt.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
I WISH there was one near me, I would love it. I "heard" that rentals usually use zippers, you sign up for your time slot and take the zippers home with you, pin onto your top and backing at your leisure then when you get to the shop you just zip it on and you're ready to quilt.
That's a great idea. It helps the quilter by letting them do it in their own home and helps the store out by being able to rent time on the machine to other people.