Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with outlived quilts? >

What do you do with outlived quilts?

What do you do with outlived quilts?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM

I cut my son's baby quilt into pieces and made Christmas ornaments out of it. I made fussy cuts and used cookie cutter designs, zig zagged the edges added lace and bows, they turned out cute. My grown children enjoyed them.

My youngest son put one in a shadow box with other momentos such as ribbons (awards)amd photos for the wall art.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm old fashioned about things like that. I have a few things my mother made for me when I was a baby. I also saved my boys things in case they wanted their children to have them.I have a 36 year old musical teddy bear that was my youngest. He wanted me to keep it, so it is in my cedar chest.He's never had children of his own but helped his wife raise her 4 girls.Also have his baby quilts.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Make cookie cutter style ornaments for the Christmas tree (yes, this means you would cut into it), pincushions, small pillows, keep in the car for a picnic blanket, drape over the back of an old rocker, use on the porch/patio when eves are cooler.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 PM

How large is it? She might want to just hang it on a wall as a decorative piece, since it has been a keepsake for so many years! Now there are chairs and sofas and other decorative items using quilts as the major fabric.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 AM

I'd say save it. I saved both my children's quilts that I made from a prequilted kit I embrodiered (years before I started quilting). Long story short, I gave to each when they had children. Remember I was visitng my son and his son threw up on his (my son's) quilt amd he asked me to wash for them while they went to work. His wife said just throw in washer and he became very upset. His comment to her was, "My Mom made this and it is my heirloom and I don't want it ruined!" Not meant as a slur against her, but a kuddos for me!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 AM

I would pack it in tissue and store it. As a baby quilt, it can't be that big and your daughter's child may someday be thrilled to have it.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 AM

If it is to damaged, cut out the good stuff. Use templates, to cut out stars, baby baskets, balls, etc. Use fabric stiffner and hang as ornaments on your tree, or mobil for your baby. Can also use them as items on a scrapbook page. Can you think of anything else?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 PM

I, myself, would have your daughter ask her friend if she could repair it in ANY way that she could, so the quilt could be given to your granddaughter when she becomes a mom.
I have or had my son's & daughter's musical teddy bears.
My daughter gave hers to her little girl.
I still have "my" baby outfit that my mom brought me home
from the hospital in. Guess what? All 4 of my granddaughters have had a picture taken with 'my' little dress on. I still have my little dress.
Memories is what it is all about! Tell your DD to ask her friend to repair to keep it....she won't be sorry! It will bring alot of memories back to her little girl!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 PM

I agree with Kathy and others. I saved a few things of my daughter's, thinking she might have an emotional attachment to them and want to use them for her kids. She really wasn't interested (she wanted her's to have EVERYTHING new), BUT, when the kids hit 4-6 years old, they ended up with a real big attachment to things that used to be mom's. Mom's first teddy bear has a place of honor on Sarah's bed, Mom's pillow offers special comfort on a 'I don't wanna go to bed" night, etc. They even ooh and ahh over little crafts that Mom made when she was a kid (yes, I saved 3 hand-crafted items). The quilt won't take up much room to store.

FREE Quilting Newsletter