Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with outlived quilts? >

What do you do with outlived quilts?

What do you do with outlived quilts?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 AM

My daughter has a cute little baby quilt made for her by a friend. A lot of work has gone into the making of this quilt; the blocks are hand embroidered with teddy bears and it has a beautiful satin binding on it. But, DD is downsizing to move and this quilt is outgrown and not used anymore (and no more babies!!). It shows wear, as it was loved in its time. DD still spends a lot of time with the maker of the quilt, and doesn't know what to do with the quilt, but can't see keeping it. Any advice for me to pass along? It's too worn for a hospital program or any other place where they expect new quilts. I hate to see it go to a thrift store because quilts there are just too sad! I really don't want it because it would just be another thing to store. Ideas?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 AM

I'll be watching as I have some well worn from childhood also!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 AM

How about taking a less-worn piece of the quilt and having it framed?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I'm curious what to do too.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Do you think your daughter may want it back some day if she has children of her own? I would clean it and pack it away in acid free tissue and when she has her own child pull it back out. You may even ask the maker to "fix it up" first, then pack it away.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 AM

I like Kathy N's advice. I still have baby blankets from my oldest son(he's 36 now) and my DD is coming to visit in a couple of days with her daughter(she's 6 months) and guess who's going to use these quilts? They don't take that much room to store and you'll never regret it nor will your DD later on! What memories you'll have!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 AM

I personally put those items away. I've saved things of my sons since he was born to give to my grandchildren someday. Items I've made that I was going to trash my son asked me to keep for him since I made it.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Google Goddess

I would pack it away. Also if you have an extra bed in the house put it on the bed with a cute teddy bear to remember her. She may want it back someday!

Happy Quilting!

Craftybear
Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 AM

A couple years ago at a baby shower the fathers mom gifted the new mom with his first pajamas and his baby quilt, It was very touching. By all means save it.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator

i can't believe she wants to get rid of it. my son is 30 and we still fight over who owns they teddy bear he left behind when he went into the air force.

(don't tell him i told you. :lol: )

FREE Quilting Newsletter