Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Turning Salmon into Salmon Patties? >

Turning Salmon into Salmon Patties?

Turning Salmon into Salmon Patties?

Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 AM

OK - found a great recipe at http://www.cdkitchen.com for Pan-Fried Fresh Salmon Cakes. I checked several websites and they all had the very same recipe and they all said it is delicious.

Basically, you remove the skin and bones from about 1 pound salmon, flake it (with a fork or just with your fingers), then basically use the same recipe Marseye gave you with the addition of a little mayo and some parsley. Then form the cakes, bread them by coating lightly with flour, dipping in egg wash and coating in bread crumbs, then fry. One of the other sites suggested adding some Old Bay Seasoning. I just googled "using fresh salmon to make salmon cakes" and a whole list of sites came up. I've used "cdkitchen.com" before and it's a pretty good source. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:40 AM

You can do it with canned salmon or canned mackrel.

NEVER LET YOUR KIDS SEE IT STRAIGHT FROM THE CAN!!

The skin and bones looks pretty yucky and really turns kids off.

Drain the can. Use your fingers to wipe off the skin and pull out most of the bones. They've been pressure cooked so if you miss one it is not major like when you miss one in fried fish.

I use egg, onion and cornmeal in mine. Mush it up. Make patties and fry until crispy.

I always make enough so I have one to crumble up and use to make gravy. Yum!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Originally Posted by Lisanne
Does anyone make salmon patties or burgers from salmon, or do you all just buy ready-made patties?

How would you do this? Would you run the raw meat through a food processor or meat grinder and then cook it, or the other way around? What kinds of seasonings or other ingredients do you add?

I don't like salmon much, but I'm thinking I might be able to manage a salmon burger.
Very fast and simple.....I make salmon patties often.....I just get a can of salmon, drain it, dump in a bowl with an egg, little cornmeal, little flour, chopped onion, salt, pepper and a big dash of dill. Squish it all together with my hands, form into patties and throw them into a skillet with a little hot oil, brown good on both sides and waalaa!!! Add some fresh purple hull peas, homegrown tomatoes, homemade buttermilk cornbread and everyone is fat and happy. Are they ready yet????? :D
Wow.... my kinda eating!!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM

I kinda do it like Marsye.
I use egg, breadcrumbs, onion, seasoning salt. What ever spice you like.
I use either canned salmon or the left overs from a large filet of salmon.
Kirsten
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

OK here is your picture you asked for!!!!! This was my hubs plate. I eat half that much!! :lol:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-39001.jpe
Views:	237
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	39001  
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Carol's Quilts, that was too sweet of you to actually go hunting on the web for a recipe for me! I could have done that myself, but I so appreciate that you not only found a recipe, you checked to see that it's one that people like. Thank you!

marsye, I expected the patties to look pinkish, but never mind, the whole thing looks pretty d*mn appetizing!

And now I should confess that my salmon pattie experiment has to be put on hold for a few weeks due to my personal situation suddenly becoming chaos - for a good reason, though I'd rather not post the details on the web.

However, just as soon as I'm somewhat settled, I'm looking forward to trying my hand at making a salmon pattie or burger.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:49 PM

Mine are made pretty much like Marsye's, too. But, I don't use dill. I squirt a few drops of lemon on it before I eat it, but the trimmins are pretty much the same. Mom use to use worchestershire sauce and oatmeal in her's and I didn't really care for it. But, when I make mine, besides draining it, I don't take anything away but the bones and they are my snack while the patties are cookin..........mmmm, mmmm, good!

blessings,
Ruth
Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrspete
Mine are made pretty much like Marsye's, too. But, I don't use dill. I squirt a few drops of lemon on it before I eat it, but the trimmins are pretty much the same. Mom use to use worchestershire sauce and oatmeal in her's and I didn't really care for it. But, when I make mine, besides draining it, I don't take anything away but the bones and they are my snack while the patties are cookin..........mmmm, mmmm, good!

blessings,
Ruth
Lemon is good too :thumbup:
Old 04-01-2010, 05:09 AM

Just read an article about 10 minutes ago....in the morning magazine section of the paper.

go to:

relishmag.com

I imagine once in the site, you can get the Salmon Burgers w/ ouick soy cucumbers

enjoy..mj
Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 AM

We love Salmon Patties, and they are soooo good for you!
Just put the salmon into a bowl, add crushed cracker crumbs and an egg, salt and pepper. Mix well, make patties and sprinkle cracker crumbs over the patties--do well here.
Heat liquid oil and fry about 3 min.--check middle that it is heated, and serve. We like creamed potatoes with peas.My hubby thinks he is in Heaven when I fix this dish!
Marta