Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing? Love it or hate it? >

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
My first attempt at paper piecing was doing a new York Beauty block. The first square I did I used computer paper which was horrible to take out. Then I read somewhere, that using really cheap doodle paper (like newsprint) from the dollar store was the way to go, and it made a huge amount of difference. I had scanned the pattern to my computer, since I had to resize it, and I printed it right onto the newsprint, and it worked just beautifully.

I would do it again in a minute.

By the way, I have included a photo of my paperpieced centre (new york beauties) for a round robin quilt. It's on it's third round now, so I'm curious to see what's been added.......
Wow, see how beautiful your points are! Cheap doodle paper must be the way to go! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 PM

When my niece got married five years ago I did a double wedding ring in blue and white that was paper-pieced. It was truly a labor of love. Blue is not my favorite color and I hate paper-piecing. It turned out beautiful but never again. Presently working on Dear Jane and although I have PP one or two blocks I mostly would by far rather just sew tiny tiny pieces.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Muslin is what we used in the old days as my grandkids say. We called it foundation or string quilting. lol Jolo
Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM

I've done crazy blocks with muslin and it works great. I suppose you could even iron it onto freezer paper cut into 8.5 x 11" pieces and run it through certain printers to print out the patterns on. Or you could do it the hard way and use a light box to trace the pattern onto the muslin. I have printed on muslin and crayon colored it in for an ABC Sesame Street baby quilt. It worked very well. In paper piecing/foundation piecing--I always square up my blocks before stitching them together so that would take care of most skewing problems. If the muslin is starched well and/or cut on the straight of grain, it should be fine.

Beverly in Missouri
Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 PM

I made a tumbling block quilt it is on this site all I did was make diamond shape blocks but there is a trick to sew them together to get the point...

Tumbling block lap quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43368[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-43368.jpe
Views:	66
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	43368  
Old 04-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Bev ,we dont live to far apart from each other I live in Cape girardeau do you ever come here?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 PM

Try using tracing paper. I get it at Walmart and trim the side to size for my copier. Since it is longer than regular paper, I put half of my design on the top, turn it upside down and run the paper through again using the bottom. If you don't have a copier, you can store your designs in the computer and print from there. Also, using picture tools, you can size a design to suit your needs. I had no luck cutting the pieces to size. Instead I cut strips or squares of fabric. I position one along the sewing line, fold the paper back, and trim to 1/4 inch. I was doing houses and getting the angles right was a challenge! Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM

I did do a few blocks once. (I have a book with quite a few patterns in it and instructions, plus I've downloaded a lot of PP patterns.) I have a "directional" problem, which means I have a tendency to get things upside down and backwards. With that problem, I think it is much easier to make errors when paper piecing. On the other hand, for sharp points (like Mariner's Compass), I agree that PP is really useful.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Love it!!
I have made two New York Beauty quilts by paper piecing. One thing I like is that you can sew small sections at a time, and don't always have to work on big sections at once.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-43370.jpe
Views:	161
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	43370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-43740.jpe
Views:	197
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	43740  
Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Hi, I think that there is a bit of confusion here. For Tumbling blocks the traditional method is English Paper Piecing, not Paper Foundation Piecing. <VBG>
I have done tumbling blocks with cutting and stitching diamonds, don't want to do EPP, but the easiest way is with Inklingo. <G> Inklingo is a new tool to use, it is software to buy and download that allows you to print cutting and stitching lines on the back of your fabric with an inkjet printer. Great for all sorts of designs traditionally done with EPP and such. Check it out at Inklingo.com

Pati, in Phx