Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing? Love it or hate it? >

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 AM

The sizes of the quilts are twin 83x87 double 78x87 queen 84x92 King 100x92 This is from the Quilters Newsletter magazine. I use it for approx. sizes. Jolo
Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 AM

Paper piecing isn't hard, just remember you are sewing on the paper side and the right side of fabric will be facing the feed dogs on your machine.

After the first fabric is applied I take a business card and lay it on the next sewing line and fold toward the paper, then I use a 1/4 inch ruler and cut the excess fabric so my next piece of fabric has a straight edge. It's easy! takes a wee bit more fabric than traditional but I think you get a crisper look.

[email protected] :D
Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 AM

I don't know what I was thinking. I always get PP confused with English paper piecing. Paper piecing is fun. I always tell people that you have to turn your brain around! Sorry!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM

I don't adjust my printer between pages. It seems to be accurate each time. If this question is directed to me, I was talking of using a 9 X 12" sheet of tracing paper. I trim 1/2 inch off of the side to make it 8 1/2 inches. Then I print enough of my pattern pieces to fit 1/2 of the sheet, turn it around, and print on the other half. I have had no trouble with using this paper in the printer and it is as easy to remove as newsprint. Because of its transparency, you can easily trace your pattern on the reverse side.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM

jolo Thank You for the sizes happy quilting , Shirley
Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Janet, Thank You for telling me the difference, Shirley
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM

OK, I bought a tablet of the newspaper sheets, ran one through the printer and PP'd a block. I did shorten the stitch length. It was great - the paper just came right off when I was done and no little pieces left. This will be my preferred method from now on. Thanks so much for the tip!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM

I just went to a free demonstration at my LQS and it was so informative. I knew once I saw it being done, I could figure it out. I can't wait to start practicing and making some blocks. Not ready for the really detailed ones, but at least now I can actually do paper piecing.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with pp, have done several with different papers and the hate part comes in when you pick the seams out, but I have a problem with points so it is great for points, I will have to try the frezzer paper next one I do, one of these days I will get my camera going and post some pictures of my quilts, and I do take pictures of my quilts, so I remember which ones I liked to do again, and which ones I will never never do again,,,,,
Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cscmath
Love it!!
I have made two New York Beauty quilts by paper piecing. One thing I like is that you can sew small sections at a time, and don't always have to work on big sections at once.
Whoa, these are stunning! I love pointy points...