Pills For Depression!!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 AM

You know what marsye - I take total offense to your comments. I suffer from depression and it is extremely difficult. If you don't know what you are talking about - then BE QUIET!!!! And the more you speak the worse you get. I have been staying away from this board more and more because of this very thing. Is this not a QUILTING board? Is this not supposed to be a place to discuss tips, techniques, our projects with others? When did it become a place for narrow minded ignorance?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 AM

There are many different kinds of Depression. I am not a doc, but I can speak from experience from my own life and also from our Son's battle with it. For instance, when our youngest daughter was born, every morning, I would wake up crying. Just to see the sun shining, "set me off." I had 3 kids--under the age of 7. The doc put me on "mood elevators." That really helped and I got along fine. My hair was falling out little by little after her birth. No one could even look at me but what I would start crying. So, the pills did help me--a lot. I still have bouts with it; I just take a Xanax and try to "chill out." It runs in our family, as does Bi-Polar. That is where you have shifts from depression to mania. Our son has this and takes a regimem of drugs, and can function fine. There are several in my family who are afflicted with this chronic situation.
Our youngest daughter started taking the high-dollar depression advertised a lot--before the baby was born in Jan. She does really well on it. Her husband told me without it, she was a real "mess."
As for your question why so many people are depressed; I personally think the docs sometimes would rather just push pills to you than to take some time to find out why you are depressed. They are most all so "money mad," this is their way of not getting off their schedule to make their boat payments, ect, ect.
Hope I have answered your question. Glad you aren't afflicted with this, as it is no fun. Just now thought of the drug she takes; Cymbalta. She must get samples, as money is very tight at their house.
Must ring off. Drop me a line if you have any questions.
Marta
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 AM

I shall also put my 2 cents in. My daughter just got out og the hospital after 9 days suffering with depression and thoughts of hurting herself. She has been on depression medicine for 4 years but for some reason it did not help. They have her on some more meds and she is doing great now. That was such a scary time for us, I do not remember being that scared in my entire life. It is hereditary and my husband and sisters in law all sufferer with depression. When your child is the only one at Disney land without a smile on her face you know there is a problem. I wish she did not have it or suffer with it, but the meds help and she can lead a good life. No, some people do not understand but we do not worry about that, I just take joy when I see her smile and joking with her sister and brother.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebbiD
You know what marsye - I take total offense to your comments. I suffer from depression and it is extremely difficult. If you don't know what you are talking about - then BE QUIET!!!! And the more you speak the worse you get. I have been staying away from this board more and more because of this very thing. Is this not a QUILTING board? Is this not supposed to be a place to discuss tips, techniques, our projects with others? When did it become a place for narrow minded ignorance?
OUCH! But I'm not ignorant. :oops:
I'll just go somewhere else. ;-)
Old 04-08-2010, 04:56 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is a VERY touchy subject with me! Do you realize that more people die from prescription meds than street drugs? That MOST ailments can be dealt with with eating correctly, exercise, etc - NOT by popping a pill (which there are SIDE effects)

My Hubby has heart problems - he was FIRST given presc. - THEN he was diagnosed with something else, given different meds, then ANOTHER ailment, and so forth and so on.

High blood pressure - MONITOR your SALT - exercise! Eat more fruits and veggies ---------------- geesch! I could go on and on - Doctors do NOT like to see me in their office because they KNOW I will NOT take any prescriptions ---- and, you KNOW that could go on and on opening THAT can of worms.........
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 AM

Ok Ok - yes, I WILL concede that on some instances meds are NECESSARY - It seems like 80% of the population suffers from a Bipolar condition. - I have family members that suffer BIG TIME and yes, they ARE on meds. If they didn't take them, THEIR lives and people around them would be in jeopardy.

Do you ever wonder how U.S. compares to other parts of the world when it comes to that condition? Do you think that the genetically altered food and the preservatives MIGHT have something to do with it?

This is an Off Topic conversation - we LEARN by ALLOWING each to speak and to air their own opinion. So please either disregard if it is NOT YOUR belief, OR just THINK about it.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:43 AM

I have suffered from clinical depression since the late 70s. It is hard to explain how you feel.

I had tried many things and nothing seemed to change the way I felt. I remember when people would say just get out and do something you will feel better. I tried, I have a great life and everything to be grateful for, but just could not seem to get it together sometimes. Finally in 2004 after my husband got laid off for the 6th time. I was a basket case, could not concentrate, slept all the time. And then I found a doctor who really knew his stuff. He realized I was having an anxiety attack as well as being depressed and gave me something for the anxiety, and it worked, and only have to take it when I feel really anxious, which is now not that often. Then he started to ask me about when was the last time I felt happy about something and I could not tell him and he started going back into my history. He suggested a drug that I had never heard of and instead of being something that has to build up in your system if it is going to work you will know it in a couple of days. I could not believe it within one day, I could concentrate and although it is not what some call a happy pill, I felt normal for the first time, I found joy in almost everything I do and it takes a lot to upset me now. I still have an occasional day I may feel depressed and as the Doctor says welcome to normal. I have been taking this now for over 6 years and I am grateful everyday as is my DH. I use to go crazy over the littlest upset and could sleep for days. Now I am in a good mood most of the time and find the good in almost everything.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 AM

I used to just think that you had to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and get over it. The last 5 years though have seen one disaster after another and I became miserable until I started taking St johns wort. It has worked wonders for me. I have gone from feeling completely hopeless about everything (and not wanting to get out of bed)to being able to function and do things. There was no pulling myself out of the place I was in without help. Everyone notices the change and dh says I'm back to the woman he fell in love with. So while I agree that there is a lot over "over prescribing" sometimes it is warranted.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 AM

Thank you for trying to understand an illness in which you are not affected.

Having been down the depression road in my life, I have learned different things that can assist with my depression and I no longer take pills (my choice). I can say they helped me learn new methods of coping with the illness.

Not that everyone's depression is the same, my is PTSD. Because of a childhood experience lasting 8 years, I suffered from PTSD. They helped me overcome the feelings I felt about myself. And today I can say I feel fine without the need for meds.

There are many different types of depression, and while the television has made people more aware of this illness, and is advertising more medications for it, it comes down to the dr and patient when deciding to go onto or off of depression meds.

With the increased advertising this "closet" illness is coming to light, just like sexual predators are more announced in the news.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Ok, I guess I just don't understand it because I've never had it. A friend of mine just told me she was taking drugs for depression now and I couldn't see anything she should be depressed about
Marsye--I think you are among many who do not understand depression. Clinical depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain that you have no control over. Taking medication restores that balance and can make all the difference in your life.

You say that you cannot "see anything your friend should be depressed about." You are looking at outside factors as a means of causing her depression. Your friend does not have to have a death in her family, be battling cancer, or be out of a job to be suffering with clinical depression. I think you are confusing depression and sadness. There is a HUGE difference.

This thread is good because it may help to change the prejudice some still have about depression. Education is a great thing.