Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make quilts to keep, give away or charity? >

Make quilts to keep, give away or charity?

Make quilts to keep, give away or charity?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 AM

All three. I keep saying I am going to keep more, but then I end up giving them away. My husband just laughs at me when I say I am not going to give any more away.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 AM

One for me; a few for kids a g'kids; dozens for charities.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
All of the above. I mostly keep my art quilts. I have one one my bed, a couple of throws for the sofa. I am working on a quilt now for the Citzen Sam project, quilts sent directly to Afganistan to be put on the gurneys of returning wounded soldiers.

Another guild that I belong to is making prayer shawls this year that we will give to anyone in need.

The third guild I belong to makes Angel quilts, also donates to nursing homes, ect.
I was interested in the prayer shawls. What are they and how do you make them? Also, would you share any angel quilt patterns. I have just begun to quilt and am quite confused as to what I would like to make to start with. I know that everyone says to make something easy to begin with but most of them are boring. I want something interesting and thought that either of the prayer shawl or the angel quilt patterns might be interesting and fun. Thanks Happyfarmwife.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 AM

I have one quilt on my sewing room wall (lap size), another lap size across the bottom of my bed and that's it. I either give away to friends and family or donate them to QFK. I want to try and make one for myself one day to cover my entire bed.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:29 AM

I'm feeling really selfish right now. I've completed 2, have the top done for one that is for my wedding day whenever that shall be in the future, and have started another, and don't have the heart at the moment to give them away. They're all rolled up and stored in a cedar chest so no one even sees then, but I guess I'll have them should I find a friend that would deserve one.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:07 AM

I gave each of my DGS (25 & 28) a scrappy quilt for their birthdays this year. Their Mom said they weren't ready for a quilt, but a scrappy is a good place to start. I don't want to know if they are abused, but I think they'll use them for warmth and that's all I ask. When they get married I'll make the nicer quilts.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was wondering since we have lots of quilters on this board if you usually make the quilts for yourself, give away or for charities?
All of the above. Mostly charity tho.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 AM

Most of mine are given away, I do a lot for Project Linus, and whenever I make one for myself it seems to end up somewhere else :mrgreen:
Old 06-25-2011, 04:57 PM

donate or give to relatives...have never kept one for myself..
Old 06-25-2011, 05:09 PM

I started off keeping all of mine. I figured that making a quilt is so much work that I would just keep all of mine. I have recently made some for charity and just a month ago started making them "to order" for friends. (My sister has been quilting for 12 years and sort of has the family already covered in quilts. :) ) So I do all three.