Pit bulls

Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by STAR
only thing to say is that Anything with teeth can bite.

Absolutely! I think the nastiest dogs are Chihuahua's. One expert calls them "Pit-bulls Lite". My sister has one that we call "Satan Rat". I love dogs, but that one would meet the toe of my shoe if she were ever stupid enough to get that close. I would never trust her around a baby. And I read that small dogs bite 10 times more often than large dogs, but, of course the damage is usually slight, so it's brushed off.

PS, I know there are lots of wonderful Chihuahua's. It's a prejudice on my part based on personal experience, so I know it isn't really true for all of them, any more than most of the prejudice against pit-bulls.
....it's a good thing he doesn't weigh 70 pounds!!
the toy poodle we had when I was little was vicious!!

and I weigh 228 and I also BITE! LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 AM

I did write a paper for school a couple of years ago on dog bites and it was found that smaller dogs were more likely to bite as well as the german shepard and I can't remember the others.

The main problem is that the breed of the attacking dog is not always recorded correctly and any pit bull mix or regular mutt is recorded as a pit bull to get the headlines. the media is also swayed. you can read about the same pit bull attack story in several papers around the country but not the neighborhood lab bite or german shepard. its too bad and it won't change.

personally I think if I had so many bad experiences with dog attacks I wouldn't bother to own or be by ANY dog.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM

I think the media is swayed in that the only thing that makes the news is the most shocking, vicious stories, be it animal or otherwise. Dogs are generalized in the media just as people or any other common, identifying info.

So therefore the breeds that are most generally identified as being aggressive make the headlines whenever an especially aggressive (provoked or unprovoked) incident occurs.

You're right Star, there are many animals that bite whose statistics never receive attention.

Just wanted to clarify your last comment in the above post. Was that directed at what I said in my post?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 PM

yeah quiltluvr, but not in a mean way, I would just be too scared. so you are brave!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks Star, that was nice :-).

I had my own pet give me a good bite once. I will never forget it. I can make the excuse that he was terminal at the time and I did something stupid and prior to that he was the most kindest, gentlest dog and not a breed or mix that makes the news. Even after that we kept him comfortable as best we could until the dreaded time.

The other incidents were with other peoples dogs that in all honesty could have been entirely preventable had the owner been more responsible. Unfortunately the breeds involved, german shepherd, pit bull, chow and husky mix, garner a lot of negative attention. I know not every single one of any breed is entirely out to make a bad name for their breed (as if they think that way, right? :-) ), so for me, they get a break until they prove me wrong, with safeguards in place. Even still, I haven't ever developed a fear however, I watch for obvious signs of behavioral changes and act accordingly, big or small.

And when you get a good match with a furry kid, there's nothing like it! (IMHO only.)

:)
Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 PM

how sad, but you did the best for him

it is good that you are aware of the obvious signs as alot of people aren't or choose to ignore them.

and you are absolutely right when you get a good one you never forget them!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
I had my own pet give me a good bite once.
Even cats can bite hard. I have a scar on one thumb from a cat fang drilling in when I was in my teens (in fairness to the cat in question, she was apparently having some sort of seizure at the time), and DH actually needed medical attention for a bite from our current cat (we do think the cat had provocation, since we were giving him a bath at the time).
Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Beth33
Next door neighbors brought home a pit bull puppy from the pound. Would you be freaked? Or do you think they get a bum wrap?
I had a pit bull when all my kids (4) were little. We got her as a six week old and raised her with love and tenderness from all of us. She turned out to be the sweetest dog we have ever had. Once when she was nursing pups, the kids came home with a very young, stray kitten. We were trying to bottle feed it, but our wonderful mama pit took it to her bosom, literally, and nursed that kitten along with her four pups. The pups were almost ready to be weaned, but the kitten continued for several weeks after the puppies stopped.
The point is, if you get a dog when it's young, before anyone has had a chance to treat it badly, it'll usually turn out fine whether it's a pit or not. My oldest daughter is all grown now and has had a pit bull for several years. He's a wonderful and very gentle dog. Of course nothing is 100%, and any dog could grow up to be mean, sometimes it's just in the genes.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeri6
During the fifties this dog was the American Family Dog. Not until these creeps started throwing them into illegal dog fighting pits (which is where the name came from) did they start getting a bad rap, like they have today. The Pit Bull is the most abused animal in the world. The bad back yard breeding and the abuse they are subject to (to make mean dogs) has made so many afraid of them. They really are good family dogs known for their babysitting skills with children. They are like everything thing else, they need resonsible, owners willing to take the time to train them and spend time with them. And with this you will have a wonderful pet.
What a beautiful blue pit!! Our Moonshadow was a chocolate rednose. She loved the kids and the grandkids. It was so funny to see her obey a 2 year old......lol!

:D
Old 04-16-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Beth33
Next door neighbors brought home a pit bull puppy from the pound. Would you be freaked? Or do you think they get a bum wrap?
I'd be freaked..