Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think  developed your interest in sewing? >

Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think developed your interest in sewing?

Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think developed your interest in sewing?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM

I love your stories, aardvarq and Old Man--New Quilter!!

I like them all--but these two really made me smile. I think it's your voice in your writing.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Love all these stories of the guys quilting and sewing. So cool! My mom never sewed, but I remember saying when I was little that my Chatty Kathy (remember those) needed some more clothes. So, my Dad was the one who made them. He made her a little jacket top, and a little skirt complete with button and button hole. I still have them. I was so proud of those, because Daddy made them.

He and I did some upholstery work together a few times, that turned out great too.

My daughter hates anything to do with sewing, but my son took home ec one semester and they were sewing. He made a vest for me that I still have and wouldn't trade it for anything. Not long ago, he came over and borrowed my machine to make curtains for his new house. If he hadn't already claimed the old Pfaff 130 that was my dad's mother's machine, I would have it. Since he wants it though, and I already have enough machines, I'll let him have it. Perhaps someday, he'll start quilting too.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 PM

Fellow quilters, thank you for sharing!

I have been delighted with your stories and enjoying the way you each have traveled the quilter's pathway. I taught high school Home Economics in the 70 and 80's, right when guys started sharing their interest in cooking and sewing. Coed food classes were a blast. After taking a class or two in foods, some of the guys signed up for sewing. I found that these guys were gifted, having sewn for years and that I could mentor them on their more complicated projects. They were accomplished. These guys also took a coed needlecraft class where students learned to knit, crochet, quilt, and needlepoint (remember Rosey Greer, PA football player noted for also doing needlepoint?) What fun!

I grew up in a family where my mom sewed and so did all of my sisters. My Dad, however, stepped up to the plate when my brother restored a 31 Model A Ford. My dad took over and
reupholstered the seats, using the Singer Sewing machine. It was obvious to all of us that sewing was to be enjoyed, no matter who was in the "driver's seat."

After watching Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts at 5:30 AM as I got ready for work, I decided that quilting was THE WAY to renew my sewing spirit. Many a guy has been a guest on her show, letting all of us know that quilting is to be enjoyed by all!

Please keep sharing your journey (and pictures).

Quilter from Southern California
Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 PM

I have at back and read all of these stories. How time seams to fly when one is having fun. I was soppose to be sewing for a qt top, now i'm almost out of time. This has been so interesting & I've enjoyed Everything I have read. keep up the good work, show pic . Theresse
Old 04-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

perhaps the quilting men in your life would be interested in the web site www.yahoo/quiltguy.com or some such addy.
It is a yahoo group Quiltguy.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

The men on this list may be interested in a Yahoo group. It is www.yahoo.com/quiltguy If not that then go to yahoo and under groups look for Quilt Guy.
We do all sorts of things - fabric exchanges, round robins, special friend quilts and even have our own quilt retreats. You will find beginners as well as some of the professionals on the site.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
If my husband took up quilting he would end up doing it better than me, so I'll leave him to his computer and not suggest it!
I know my hubby would do a great job, but I definitely don't want to encourage him! Then I'd have to share my fabric stash! Or worse, reveal just how much fabric I really have! :lol:

I am so inspired by you gentlemen! And it gives me hope that I can truly pass on the addiction to my grandson. He's only 2 but I figure the earlier the better. I'm going to be getting him for a couple weeks in the summer and I'm going to cut up a bunch of squares for him to play with. He can put them in whatever design he wants and once he's done and sleeping, I'll sew them up quick into a quilt for him to keep. I'm hoping it'll be fun enough, especially at that age, to set the seeds to become a quilter. :-D
Old 04-18-2010, 09:46 AM

that is a terrific idea. just think when he is 10 and designing quilts you can show him his original start!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
If my husband took up quilting he would end up doing it better than me, so I'll leave him to his computer and not suggest it!
I know my hubby would do a great job, but I definitely don't want to encourage him! Then I'd have to share my fabric stash! Or worse, reveal just how much fabric I really have! :lol:

I am so inspired by you gentlemen! And it gives me hope that I can truly pass on the addiction to my grandson. He's only 2 but I figure the earlier the better. I'm going to be getting him for a couple weeks in the summer and I'm going to cut up a bunch of squares for him to play with. He can put them in whatever design he wants and once he's done and sleeping, I'll sew them up quick into a quilt for him to keep. I'm hoping it'll be fun enough, especially at that age, to set the seeds to become a quilter. :-D
Excellent idea! :D
Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Funny enough, my son has been the one even remotely interested in my projects. When he was a little boy, he used to take pieces of my fabric to bed with him to snuggle with. When I brought home my new machine he was the one that wanted to play with it and the new motorized sewing table. I had to actually drag him off of it as he was getting a tad rough with it... I don't know if he'll actually sew one day, but between him and my daughter, he's got more of an interest.
:cry: Wish my daughters were interested in sewing...unfortunately none of the three are. One of the girls does have a terrific sense of color, though. (She's also the one who told me I couldn't ...or shouldn't...buy any more fabric until I have sewn up some of what I have!)