Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 AM

I work from home. I take care of my GD who has special needs (and soon a 2nd GC). There is much to do w/her during the day (physical therapy and other stuff... you be surprised how much time is taken up w/a child especially when you schedule for their activities).

Most nights & weekends I LA professionally. Needless to say I don't get much done for myself. I get soooo jealous when I see you all pump'n out the quilts.

And who said what about house work? That's way to far down on the list of things to do lol The house if reasonably presentable... some may think I'm not the neatest/cleanest person in the world, but oh well!

So let's sum it up: I don't make much $$$, my days are full & I never seem to have any spare time... HOWEVER, I love what I do! I love being able to be such a huge part of my GD life & I absolutely love getting to share in the quilting adventures of my customers. I'll get a quilt made eventually lolol
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM

I work full-time and share the house with my 95 y/o mother. She is amazingly self-sufficient but really shouldn't be living alone. So I'm fortunate that every other weekend, when I'm not with my grandkids, I can sew 24/7. Fortunately, we pay my SIL to do the major house cleaning every two weeks, so the house stays clean, otherwise, sewing would take priority over toilets and dust bunnies. Some evenings when I'm home I get in an hours worth of sewing but depends on how stressful the day at work was.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 AM

I own a hair salon and work part time for a condo association so my free time is limited. I decided to purchase a "salon machine" so I can get a little quilting done during down time at the salon. Of course usually when I sit down to sew that's when the walk-ins come. So I feel it's a win-win either I get quilt time or I get business
Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 AM

I also work full time and I try to sew early in the mornings.Some mornings I get up at 5:30 so that I can sew for an hour before getting ready for work.That works good for me .I,m also one of these people that has to be in the mood to sew,but once my new room gets finished it will have so many windows I will enjoy it more.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 AM

I consider myself a Domestic Goddess. My last job, as an office manager for my brother's Auto Repair shop, ended in 2000 when I became disabled by a rare autoimmune disease. In the years since my only daughter got married and moved a little over an hour away. My grandchildren from my husband's first marriage have gotten to old to need my occasional babysitting. I have regained enough health to volunteer one day a week at our local Senior Center, quilting of course. I do get to two differnt guild meetings a month and attend a little Bee twice a month where we bring handwork, gab and go out to lunch. I work on Linus quilts and projects of my own whenever the mood strucks me. I am currently embroidering the names of each of the families in my church congregation on fabric to be added to house blocks in a 250th anniversary quilt for the church. While the embroidery machine is running I work on Linus Quilts. Right now I don't have a bed size quilt to handquilt on. Once the Anniversary one is put together I will be handquilting it. I generally divide my time between, reading, watching TV and doing quilt related things. Because of my disability I have someone who comes in every three weeks and does the heavy housework. I do cook and keep up with the laundry. I also do the food shopping. If I just happen to go near a quilt shop, so be it.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 AM

I took early retirement so I could be the "nanny" for my DD's 2 little boys while she attends med school. My one GS is special needs-autistic, so much time is spent on therapy and Dr. appts. I sew on the weekends when they visit their father. It sure is stressful and hectic at times, but I am so lucky to be able to help out my daughter in this way. Quilting is my time to relax!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 AM

I have 2 kids, a husband that works nights, full-time job and volunteer work. The key to quilting for me is to choose smaller projects that I can pickup and put down easily after the kids go to bed.

Wall hangings, tablerunners, and lap quilts are projects that I can tackle and not feel too overwhelmed. Some day I will have time to make a full size quilt. For now, I just enjoy seeing others' work and storing away all these great ideas!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by chamby
... how do you get everything done so that you have time to sew? I have not been able to touch my sewing machine for a very long time now.
:(
i also have a full-time job outside the home.

who says you have to get everything else done? if you are imposing that requirement upon yourself, rethink that concept. if somebody else in the house is imposing the requirement upon you, review the division of labor to make sure it's fair. (and stick to your guns. it takes longer to unspoil a family used to 24/7 maid service, but it can be done. ;-) )

when my dustbunnies pick up a broom, i'll have a clean house. until then, i live with the mess and work on my quilts when i please.

I LOVE your reply! :D

I'm on maternity leave right now, until next January, but before getting pregnant I was working 40 hours a week full time, plus another job part time at around 15 hours a week.
However, I did NOT do all the cooking and cleaning. Sasha likes to cook, and he's the clean freak, so I'll slack off on passing the broom for a couple of days and if he's not happy, then he can do it himself. He was going to school a couple of days a week but working less than half the hours I was.
That's all going to change now with the new baby. He just finished his bachelors, going to start working full time. I'm going back to work full time next January after my maternity leave, but probably not to my part time job too...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 AM

I work full time between 9-10 hours a day 5 days a week. Leave the house at 7AM arrive home between 6PM and 7PM. I find quilting is my therapy, it takes my mind off work and lets my creative side take over. It also gives me something to look forward to during the day.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM

I'm currently working full time, commute 1 hour each way and have three small children. I am fortunate to have great help/support so my kids are pretty much done with everything when I get home. By time I get house cleaned up and ready for next day, it's usually about 9/930 and I try to sew for an hour or so. It relaxes me. The prob is that I often dont stop and then I'm exhausted the next day. The kids are with their dad a few hours during the week and one weekend day so I have that time to myself (like today - yay!!).... I find myself jotting down designs to future quilts during boring meetings and take quilting books to work to get inspired over lunch. When I dont sew at night I'm generally on ebay buying fabric or on etsy looking at all the awesome completed quilts folks are selling (now I'll just come here :)).... Oh, I will add, one reason it may be easy for me at night is that I do super simple stuff and buy pieces pre-cut (jelly rolls/charm packs).. If I had to do all my own rotary cutting I'd probably throw in the towel and wait til weekend. Good luck!

Leigh