Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM

I am retired, but sometimes it seems sewing time is limited and I volunteer at church and the Literacy Coalition by tutoring and adult who wants to learn to read. But I sew rather than do housework.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM

I work full time, so I too don't have as much time to sew as I'd like. When I do get to sew, I enjoy it!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM

I'm really fortunate, I'm finally retired and can do whatever I want. Some days the everyday house work doesn't get done when i'm in the mood to quilt. Only problem now is the budget. Not as much $$$ for fabric as I used to have. Am planning a sudoku quilt using some of the fabric I bought way back when. Am doing a block of the month and a really cute frog table runner for my sister. Now that Spring has arrived in Montana I'm outdoors a lot, but the bad weather will return and it's quilt, quilt, quilt.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM

I work full time and take call 1-2 nights a week - so some of my off time is spent sleeping!
There is a sewing machine in our call room, so when things are quiet I can sometimes get a lot done there with no distractions. Home is hit or miss depending on what else I need to get done - laundry , house keeping, spending time with 2 kids 9 and 10 and husband. I'm not a good multitasker - I can't do much else when I quilt, and I have a hard time just quilting for a few minutes - but some one suggested just doing one block, or part of a binding. I'll try that. Weekend quilting getaways let you get a lot done with no distractions, and get me inspired by seeing what everyone else is doing. I try to do 2 a year. Your LQS may have some planned.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Patrice, I subscribe to your attitude, the house doesn't rule me, I rule it.
You live within a daytrip of a yummy quiltfabric store, St. Simon's island. I visited it two summers ago, walked in with the intention of buying a few fat qtrs and walked out with enough fabric to make a vacation memory quilt.
You should visit Blue Ridge sometime, I'd love to show you around.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM

I, too, work full time and volunteer at several places, so I get very little accomplished these days. But I love to come here and read about everyone else's work and dream about the day I'll find time to do it, too.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 AM

I work full time, 4 - ten hour days so I'm off work on Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday. I dialyze my husband at home 4 days a week for 4 hours, while he's on dialysis, I SEW! If I wasn't stuck there with him I would never find time to sew, so I consider it a blessing that I am able to care for him at home and have time to do something that I love. 16 hours a week at minimum gets lots of quilts done.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM

I never was able to get much sewing done before I retired in June of last year. This winter I was able to finish a couple of quilts and a few other projects for the first time. Our summers are quite busy with spending time with family and at our cabin in Minnesota. I DO love retirement though and now I feel like I finally have time to do something that I want to do, like quilt. Your time will come, don't give up on quilting. I have plenty of stash to keep me busy for many years. But I still like to buy - I'm trying to get over that habit, but it is not easy.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

What I would like to hear from someone is how can you be retired and get time to sew. I find that I have very few minuts that are my own.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Maybe don't say yes to everyone when they ask you to volunteer, as that can become a full time job in itself. You need to save some time for yourself, as you worked hard for these years.