Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 AM

A girlfriend sent me an email a few years ago that helped me immensely....I am posting it in a new thread so that folks not reading this thread might see it as well. Heading will be "Dust if you must".

Patti
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM

Okay I took some of the advise. I got up off the couch last night and cut out a purse. I will be putting that together tonight after work.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
I notice that everyone here seems to have more time to sew than I do. I was just wondering if anyone else works a full time job as I do. If you do, how do you get everything done so that you have time to sew? I have not been able to touch my sewing machine for a very long time now.
:(
I still work full time, albeit from home - I put in 12-14 hours a day....so my sewing time is on weekends, and some evenings whenI am not drop dead tired.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM

I work full-time, 80 hours every two weeks, I work 10 hour shifts. I do not necessarily work 4 days each week, I work 8 days every two weeks, may work 5 one week and 3 the next, etc. It is a very stressful job and I have to MAKE SURE I get some sewing time in each and every week. I also maintain a home for my husband and myself. It's not always easy, but you gotta make some time for yourself, no matter what you do!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 AM

I teach full-time at a high school (five different classes = five sets of DIFFERENT lesson plans, grading, prep-work, etc), coach the high school speech team (practices mon-wednesday from 3:30-5:50 tournaments almost every other saturday) a wednesday night college class 6-9, a thursday night college class (5-8) and I usually spend all day sunday prepping/grading the college stuff.

Saturdays are spent doing all the errands that need done that the business world won't allow a teacher to complete (We're open 8-5, come in during those times...)

Last night I literally collapsed when I walked in the door at 7pm and slept until 6am this morning when the alarm went off. The schedule will catch up with me like that, and while I lost the entire evening, I feel better today.

I'm lucky that the bf likes to cook - but I'm the one who cleans the apt. And believe me -- you can tell I've been quilting lately -- the apt needs some attention! There are dirty dishes, garbarge to drive to the dumpster, dusting/vacumming, and about 6 loads of laundry to take to the laundromat.

My key is to schedule time to quilt. Or I'll use it as a reward (If I do all the dishes, I can cut for the next set of blocks) to get the other yucky stuff done.

=) Not ideal, but it's what I've got for now...
Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM

I too work part time. I teach nursing at the local community college. I teach 2 weekends a month this semester. I have 17 students and it will end this weekend. Woo Hoo! Oops, sorry! I do enjoy my work, I do the psych part, which everyone dreads! I am mentally exhausted after the day but, I remember I am almost through this semester and will have the summer off. I teach a sewing class at my church 2 Saturdays a month. The past 3 years I did my BSN and MSN and was tied up with that doing projects and seminars and practium hours. But, that is over now and none too soon. My husband has retired but, stays with his Mom 2 nights a week. Those are my time to be alone with my sewing. I make dolls and purses and scrubs and quilts and other crafty projects. I have a large sewing room and best of all it has a door. If I want to close the doors and walk out and leave my mess as is and ready to pick up whenever, I do! My husband bought me a new Brother, Disney embroidery machine for Christmas about 4 years ago and I plan on getting aquainted with it this summer! So, I sew whenever I get a few minutes in between grading nursing packets. I do not have to do much housework, it is just me and the hubby and he pulls his share of it too. He will cook, wash dishes, run the sweeper but, no laundry! I spend an extra amount of time on this board learning tips and tricks of the trade from the others that sew as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 PM

I have a small advantage of having a hubby who leaves for work at 6:30 and I don't leave til 9:30. I usually take about an hour & a half in the morning for sewing, then eat and get ready for work.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM

I've never posted here before, have just read and been inspired by all the other posts.....you are all so wonderful. But can't help but respond to this, because it resonates so much. Like Teacup I work all week (about 55 hours) and when I get home I'm exhausted. So if I'm too tired to cut or piece, I go to my sewing room and look at fabric (I have a lot). Sometimes I take it out and refold it. Sometimes I just touch it. It makes me feel good. I might touch my sewing machine just to remind it I still appreciate it. And then I read these posts and think about what it will be like when I retire. :-)
Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup
I work fulltime and commute 50 minutes each way. My job is salaried rather than hourly so a lot of days I put in well over 8 hours. I'm brain-dead when I get home and have found that's not a good combination with the precision of quilting, especially accurate cutting! So I get online and spend time here looking at what everyone else is doing, and think, "some day, I'll be able to do things like that!" My sewing is limited to some weekend time when I can work it in. So I don't produce much, but I love all things quilted.
isn't being salaried wonderful (??) i am salaried also, and have worked a couple doubles in the last week. i also sew primarily on the weekends, and try not to be too caught up in the amount of stuff i get done, but how well i do it...

it also helps to have very good & patient recipients... i recently mailed my oldest & best friend's christmas (09) gift out, it was a small wallhanging. she called me to tell me she loved it, and how nice it was to get a christmas present in april, so the season is extended...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Boy I hear you. I work nights and it can be hard to fit quilting time in too. Sometimes I set a clock for 2 or 3 hrs and do housework or whatever needs to be done then I give myself an hour (ha ha) of me time.I think being creative and letting yourself ,helps you feel rejuvinated and better able to handle the day to day "stuff." I also have the luxury of having an understanding family-they don't complain about the ironing board being a piece of living room furniture! I also don't have little ones at home anymore (boo hoo)
so that helps.
Maybe you could find quick projects for that instant gratification.
Don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself, you count too and creating makes you feel better.