Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts" >

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I've made several all wool quilts. I used flannel for the back. One is in Indiana, on in Oregon and we have one. I even used wool for he binding. Big mistake. Last year I replace the binding with flannel. We use our wool quilt all winter.
What happened to the wool binding? Or what made it a big mistake?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have heard people say..."I don't really like quilts on my bed...they are not very warm"...WHAT??? REALLY??? my quilts are WARM!!!and my black wool Backyard Gathering quilt has double sided black flannel backing and a black wool batting inside! it is WARM! but being where we tend to have some pretty cold temps in the winter the people in my world like their quilts warm, heavy, snuggly! those are the kind i tend to make, no one will ever say.... i like the quilt but it doesn't keep you warm, i need a blanket too...
and i don't think i have a pic of it on the computer...i should get it out and take a couple, maybe this weekend i will do that...but there is a picture of it on the Cotton Patch Quilt Shop web site (the shop in East Tawas, Michigan) she has a link to customer quilts on her web site and mine is shown there. she also offers it as a BOM although i had made the quilt before it was offered that way.

Originally Posted by Kutnso
Wool quilts make beautiful wallhangings but believe me, you don't want to sleep under one. When I was a child, many years ago, my Mom and Gran made wool quilts out on men's discarded clothing etc., these were so heavy that you had to sleep with your feet sideways. Anyone else know about these???
Happy sewing, Kutnso
Very pretty
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have heard people say..."I don't really like quilts on my bed...they are not very warm"...WHAT??? REALLY??? my quilts are WARM!!!and my black wool Backyard Gathering quilt has double sided black flannel backing and a black wool batting inside! it is WARM! but being where we tend to have some pretty cold temps in the winter the people in my world like their quilts warm, heavy, snuggly! those are the kind i tend to make, no one will ever say.... i like the quilt but it doesn't keep you warm, i need a blanket too...
and i don't think i have a pic of it on the computer...i should get it out and take a couple, maybe this weekend i will do that...but there is a picture of it on the Cotton Patch Quilt Shop web site (the shop in East Tawas, Michigan) she has a link to customer quilts on her web site and mine is shown there. she also offers it as a BOM although i had made the quilt before it was offered that way.

Originally Posted by Kutnso
Wool quilts make beautiful wallhangings but believe me, you don't want to sleep under one. When I was a child, many years ago, my Mom and Gran made wool quilts out on men's discarded clothing etc., these were so heavy that you had to sleep with your feet sideways. Anyone else know about these???
Happy sewing, Kutnso
Now that's a cute idea - pin cushion. Do you have an inside lining to hold the walnut shells or rice or whatever the filling is and then the wool covering?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by airedalemom
It's in Newport, New Hampshire. I live in Putney, Vermont. They have a website: www.dorrmillstore.com
I didn't see the remnants on it though, I guess you have to go there for that. Next time I go, I'll take note of what they have and what the prices are like.
Oh man - I don't know how we could work it or if you would be interested but I would love remnants. However, do you recall if the remnants are really small pieces?

There is a school called Green Mountain Rug Hooking School in Vermont. Karen Schellinger is holding a week long dyeing class and it will be fantastic. She only takes 8 people and I want to go but don't really think I can afford it. I will post a link to the school and the classes. It looks so great - but Vermont is a long flight for me from Oregon - 3 flight changes! Yuk!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 AM

Here is a link to a general idea of what I was thinking for a group project. It can be personalized and embellished. I am working on one now as a BOM with a store near me and I meet once a month with other ladies doing it and we talk and discuss.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=2552

I have changed many of my blocks to my own designs and added lots of stitching. But it is nice to have a simple one to start or to add to your other projects.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Here is the link to the pattern for "It's a Wonderful World" wool applique sampler. The pattern for the whole thing is 10.00.

http://www.allthroughthenight.net/Al...nt_pattern=712
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM

Here is an interesting free pattern that could be added to but has a pretty nice idea to it:

http://www.allthroughthenight.net/PM...ll_hanging.pdf
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM

This is a pic of a wool tree skirt. The next three pic are the largest wool applique I've done. It is houses for each month of the year. I really enjoy working with wool.

tree skirt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119655[/ATTACH]

1st section of houses
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119656[/ATTACH]

2nd section of houses
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119657[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-119650.jpe   attachment-119651.jpe   attachment-119652.jpe   attachment-119700.jpe  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
Here is the link to the pattern for "It's a Wonderful World" wool applique sampler. The pattern for the whole thing is 10.00.

http://www.allthroughthenight.net/Al...pattern_type=2¤t_pattern=712
I think I'd like to do this one with you and add my own touches. Do we need to order the pattern now?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by roxannebcb

http://www.allthroughthenight.net/Al...pattern_type=2¤t_pattern=712
I think I'd like to do this one with you and add my own touches. Do we need to order the pattern now?
Sure - I ahve already started on mine and am definitely taking it and doing most of theirs with adding things - and then completely changing others. I will post some pics later today. Have to hit the fabric store sales this am!!!!! I think this would be a fun quilt and for everyone to post each block and what they do to it. also - I think the price is pretty good.