Do you have a brown lawn?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 PM

in the desert in ca we put a blue tubing hose on the hose of the washer with a hose clamp and let the water go outside the garage onto the grass or plants from when we did laundry. the plants and grass loved it.also the potted plants got the rinse water too that we would put in a watering can or bucket. saved on water bills and they would make it through the hot summers when we had to conserve water. just a thought for some of your plants.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Don't have a lawn--the ranch grows right up to our front and back doors. After 30 years of living in homes where we did all of the work of maintaining a yard, I decided I never wanted to mow, mulch, fertilize, water, prune or worry about a lawn again. I now live in our retirement home on a 200 acre ranch. We are still in an "exceptional" drought (the worst there is) and it just burns me up to drive by homes where water is obviously wasted with watering a lawn. The attitude of many is "it's my water, I paid for the well and I will use it like I want". What they don't realize (out here in the country) is that their well may be drawing from the same vein of water that other people are getting water from. So many ranchers have been losing their wells and having to pay to have them drilled deeper. Our well is almost dry and we had to have the livestock removed from the ranch. Fortunately we have invested in a rainwater harvesting system and have a 20,000 gal tank which right now contains about 17,000 gal of water. We can collect about 2400 gal of water with each inch of rain. I conserve like a maniac. My showers consist of getting wet, turning off water and soaping up then turning the water back on for a quick rinse. Haven't mopped the floor in weeks. Only wash laundry when I can fill the washer, etc, etc, etc. I firmly believe that water will be a defining issue of this century and that people aren't going to value it for what it is worth until they are either no longer getting it so cheaply, or they run out.

My apologies for preaching from my soapbox but this is an issue that I am passionate about. Thank you for reading and please appreciate every drop of water that comes out of your faucets!
Grambi I so totaly agree with you ....... and we are conserving water all the time now ... I agree and stay on that soap box..

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Thank you, Crazy Quilting Robin. I appreciate the encouragement to continue my rant. I went back after posting and read several pages that I had skipped, and I fear I may have insulted a couple of people. If I did, please accept my apology. Those of you with wells, please, please, please consider who you may be "sharing" that water with and use it wisely.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 PM

We have not had 7 days in a row without rain -- and we have barely hit 80 this summer. Even in a normal summer, we don't water -- nor do we pour chemicals on the lawn. We let the lawn go brown if there is no rain. We hand water the flowers, but rarely use fertilizer. We live on a lake and I cringe when people crave a green lawn and pour all the chemicals on it and then the chemicals run off their property and into the lake.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:39 AM
Power Poster

Thank you, Crazy Quilting Robin. I appreciate the encouragement to continue my rant. I went back after posting and read several pages that I had skipped, and I fear I may have insulted a couple of people. If I did, please accept my apology. Those of you with wells, please, please, please consider who you may be "sharing" that water with and use it wisely.
Definitely do continue....I am:). Also, heavy use of chemicals and fertilizers muck up our precious water. You can still have a beautiful, chemical free garden....just be careful in your choice of plants and invest a little time working out ways your household can function and utilise every precious little drop. Hope all of you get relief from the heat and your farms and your animals get through the tough times. Nice to see a lot of us are remembering our wild visitors.....amazing how a few bird baths and shallow bowls in sheltered spots buried part way in the ground can sustain all the insects and wild things.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Definitely do continue....I am:). Also, heavy use of chemicals and fertilizers muck up our precious water. You can still have a beautiful, chemical free garden....just be careful in your choice of plants and invest a little time working out ways your household can function and utilise every precious little drop. Hope all of you get relief from the heat and your farms and your animals get through the tough times. Nice to see a lot of us are remembering our wild visitors.....amazing how a few bird baths and shallow bowls in sheltered spots buried part way in the ground can sustain all the insects and wild things.
You are so right about the bird baths and water for other creatures. I have to laugh at my dogs. They just sit and look out at all of the creatures from birds to squirrels to deer (and everything in between) who have found their way to the feeding stations around our house. Sometimes I'm sure they are thinking, "There goes the neighborhood! Mom, who are you going to invite over next". It is something else to see the donkeys and deer out together eating at the feeder with jackrabbits, birds and squirrels running around their feet. :)
Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 AM

My lawn is a pale green right now. I do water twice a week but only enough to protect my foundation.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM

When Ca had its 9 yrs of drought, I would water my lawn with the wash water. I attached a hose to the washer and sprinkler to end of the hose, moved the sprinkler for every load of laundry. I would water my rose bushes(30)with the rinse water. This was for the back yard, the front yard which was smaller, I used a traveling sprinkler twice a week. No water was allowed to run on the driveway or sidewalk. In times like this one becomes very conservative and even now 6 yrs later, I am very careful of the water I used.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by cr12cats
in the desert in ca we put a blue tubing hose on the hose of the washer with a hose clamp and let the water go outside the garage onto the grass or plants from when we did laundry.
Oh, I wish I could do that. It's so dry here. However, the hose would have to be too long and/or burrow though a couple of walls for me to use it on the lawn.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Ours is part brown, part greenish/brown but mostly turning brown. Mainly because it's been so hot and dry here and no rain. Even though I don't do outside work, my boyfriend goes and waters the trees, plants, veg garden and some of the grass. But we really need rain!