Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice to a first-time cat owner >

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM

I got my little Sabrina from the APL 18 years ago. She picked me. She was in a cage with two other kittens all were black and white (tuxedo). The two other kittens I played with first and they were okay but didn't do much (I was a dog person before) then I picked up Sabrina she wasn't much bigger than the palm of my hand (found out later from the vet he didn't think she was old enough to be weened) she crawled up my chest and licked me on the lips then laid down in my arms and went to sleep. How could I leave her behind. When we got home when I got home from work she would ride around on my shoulders just like a parrot would. My shoulders were always scratched up from her claws. She was my best buddy for those 18 years until she died this past June. I'll be going to the APL again for another kitten within the next month or two it's too lonesome with out the company of a furbaby.

donna c. ohio
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Be sure and keep loose threads cleaned up.....if eaten it can wrap around an intestine, according to my vet. Would think it would do the same to a dog. Nothing better in the world than a cat! You will surely enjoy the cat and its antics.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Make sure you cover your sewing machine when not in use, cat hair tends to make your machine need to be serviced a lot more often! As a persian breeder, and long time cat staff, please dont ever consider declawing, it basically cuts the cats toes off at the knuckles, and can cause severe nerve damage, plus change of personality. Also do not EVER use the silver tinsel on your trees, or have live poinsettias in your home. I would also consider a micro-chip in case your baby ever gets outside and gets lost. They can be easily inserted at the vets office. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 AM

I have had cats and dogs. Our last cat and dog we got within 6 months of each other and they were both around 3 months. We got an old tree branch for the cat "tree" she shredded the bark off of it but never used our furniture. Both those babies lived to be 16 & 17 before crossing the rainbow bridge.
For our current cat, we built her a floor to ceiling cat tree. You can find how to build your own on google. Total cost for building our own was about $25...the style we copied sort of... was $400. I saw one that is really awesome... you build a "tree" with perches hidden in the leaves. You use artificial leaves. Or you can buy a live indoor tree and build the cat tree around it with the perches snuggled between the branches here's the link for what I'm talking about
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://homeinteriordesignthemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/indoor-cat-tree-house-with-leaves.jpg&imgrefurl=http://homeinteriordesignthemes.com/...kyOzGuHjMaXxfM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=88&ei=knj7TY3EIOjy0gHakumIAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcat%2Btree%2Bplans%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS272%26biw%3D711%26bi h%3D457%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=323&vpy=39&dur=711&hovh=268&hovw=146&tx=71&ty=225&page=4&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:30&biw=711&bih=457

Yes, it's incredibly long but soo cool looking
Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I don't want to create any situation here, so check with the vet. and ask what he thinks. If you want to replace upholsterey then don't declaw. The choice is yours to make. I have had cats all my life and up to 5 at one time, so think I know a little something about cats.
IdahoSandy
Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM

I am a total cat person. We have 2 cats that are about 4 years old. Both are neutered males. Winkee is short hair orange baby and Dr. Claw is a big short hair black cat. He is very independant but likes his attention! Winkee is a talker and a lover. Both are sweet sweet babies.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:32 PM

I am glad you will not declaw. People would not like their fingers taken off down to the first knuckle and neither do cats.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 PM

my cats have always chosen me. except for the most recent addition, tiger. my dh chose him as a surprise for me. he is sweet and funny and it took us awhile to get acquainted. he now loves me, but not at the beginning. every other cat has chosen me and it was love at first sight. some cats, like my simon, take years to become a sit by you cat. simon liked to be in the same room but very little contact. he's now 17 and it took him 15 yrs to decide he wanted to sleep in my right arm pit. he'll come over and tap my arm until i move it so he can snuggle up. some cats are long distance lovers and others are not. if you want a very talkative cat, get a black or siamese. if you want an opinionated lady, get a tortie or calico. if you want instant sugar, get an orange tabby. tuxedo cats tend to be very playful and funny for longer than many other cats, and they are very loving--with everyone! there are lots of very loving cats out there. the best idea is to sit as close to the floor as you can, and see which cat comes up to you and makes overtures. if they rub the side of their face on you, they are marking you as theirs. i saw the most wonderful large gray solid color ancient (13) female and i wanted to bring her home. but dh was afraid she would die, as our 20yr old, mel, had and that i would cry. silly man! of course, i would cry. every cat deserves someone who cares enough to cry at their passing! anyway, these are my observations of various color cats and their behavior. no guarantees, since there are exceptions to every rule. but it is a guide for you.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 AM

One thing I would give you advice about is about the cat meowing for food before their usual feeding time. My boy cat does this. Most mornings he wakes me or trys to wake me for feedings before his usual time. I ignore him. If I do get up early, I don't feed him until his usual time. He thinks he is an alarm clock but he can't tell time. My theory is that the more food I give him the more he will ask for and that's not good for him.

Enjoy your new kitty.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 AM

I would like to second Jeanne 307's advice to get a Bombay if at all possible. I've had cats of all sorts my whole life, but then coyotes got my last cat, I decided to get 2 rescue cats so they could keep each other company if I had to be gone for work. There was one who was completely black- glossy fur, black nose &pads on feet. He is so black that sometimes,if his eyes are closed, we'll accidently sit on him.The breed is supposed to be the most dog-like of all cats - in fact, they are sometimes called velcro kitties because they love to be near or on their owners once they accclimate to a new home. Good luck to you and your new family member(s).